Name Field Entries Change Automatically

I have a lot of husband and wife contacts in my address book. If I enter those names into the “Full Name” field as, for example, “Dave & Carolyn Redding.” eM Client sorts that data into the address fields as:

Given name: Dave
Middle name: &
Surname: Carolyn Redding

This of course makes it impossible to sort my address book according to last name and be able to find “Redding” as that record is now alphabetically sorted according to “Carolyn.”

I have discovered that when creating a new address book entry, I need to click on the “Full Name” tag, go into the “Details View,” and enter the data as:

Given name: Dave & Carolyn
Surname: Redding

However, it has come to my attention that when I open and edit a contact, the name data is automatically rearranged back to:

Given name: Dave
Middle name: &
Surname: Carolyn Redding

The next time I look for that record, I can’t find it because I’ve scrolled down to “R” for Redding, but the record is now under “C” for Carolyn.

I don’t mind having to go into the Name Details section when creating a new record, but it’s really been frustrating to have the name fields automatically change every time I edit anything in the record.

Is there a way to stop this very annoying behavior?