my emails are gone please help me

hello i have em client free version 60201540. em client copies all my emails from my xfinity email account into itself and when i (totally delete) them out of em client not wanting two copies of all the same emails by the next day they are also gone from my xfinity email inbox. how can i stop this from happening as i only need xfinity to hold the original emails in it’s inbox. Thank you kindly everyone and please forgive me as i am new to this whole digital age stuff but i am learning.

Hi, are you using IMAP or POP for receiving messages?

Thank you,
Paul.

Rather than deleting them, have you tried getting rid of the duplicate emails by using the Deduplicator tool which can be found in the Tools menu?

A later thought… Did I misunderstand? Are you saying that eM Client holds one copy of every email but you have a separate copy of every email when you look at you xfinity account using a browser? If so, why are you using eM Client?

It’s quite normal to be able to access emails in these two different ways - your email provider will hold the “original” copies of the emails and eM Client will access these and allow you easy access to them on your computer without the hassle of using a web browser to read them. Perhaps the solution is to just not worry about there being these two different places where your emails are stored - they’ll know all about each other and will happily work together. That’s what I do - it’s the normal way of working.

Hi Jerry,

It seems that you’re using IMAP to download your e-mails. That means that the e-mail on your server will be synchronized with the e-mail on your (local) computer (and the other way around).

In other words: if you delete an e-mail from the ‘inbox’ on your local computer, it will also be deleted from your ‘inbox’ on the server. So be careful with deleting e-mails!

Why do you think you will have copies of e-mails on your local computer?

Hello and thanks for getting back to me Paul,John and Hans. Again please forgive me having little knowledge about all this but i will answer as best i can. I don’t know how to tell if using imap or pop how do you tell and how should it be set based on my needs?  as for this Deduplicater in tools, I found that but you can’t just deselect mail. has to be mail,event, task or contact so again i am not sure what to do there. I am only using em client as a second way to send emails cause i have found on many sites i visit if i click on “contact us” to send an email my xfinity email would not open. Nothing would so i installed em client and now when i am at these sites and click contact us em client opens right up and i can send my email. All this is because i simply just wanted to stay organized with all my emails in my xfinity inbox and when i found all the same emails in em client i said well i don’t need them in em so i deleted them only to find by the next morning that they are now also all gone in my xfinity inbox and just wanted to figure out how to stop this from happening again cause i lost all those emails it seems for good. Even if the only solution is as john gass said to just keep the two copies of all emails in xfinity and em client and don’t delete them out of em client. Thanks guys for helping me now and any future help you can give me.
jerry

Hi again, if you go to Tools > Accounts, and click on your account there’ll be several tabs for that account, first one is General, the second one should be POP or IMAP, that way you can tell me which protocol you’re using.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi paul, i see the tabs general,pop3,smtp and diagnostics but i don’t understand what you need me to tell you. which one of those tabs should i click on and under what topic would that information be. I see server,authentication,server settings? In pop3 under server the first word is host:mail.comcast.net the next is port 995 than security policy use ssl/tsl on special port legacy. In the smtp tab next to server is smtp.comcast.net, port 465 and security policy same as in pop3 tab. Don’t know if this will help you help me but i sure do thank you for trying paul.

Sincerely
Jerry

Hi again Jerry,
this is really bad news, since you’re using POP3 account and you don’t see your mails online I’m afraid they’re gone forever.
Can you post the screenshot of your POP3 settings?

I believe what might have caused this issue is the server settings under the POP3 tab, there’s a checkbox to “Leave a copy of messages on the server” and “Remove from server after X days”, if you managed to delete your emails from eM Client and the second setting was checked, that probably caused the messages to disappear from the server.

I wish I could be more helpful in this matter,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
 Let me see if i understand how i may stop this from happening again to me. Can i just click on the pop3 tab in tools/accounts and under server settings (check) the box saying - leave a copy of messages on the server as it is not checked and than (ucheck) - remove from server after x days as it is checked to do so in 7 days  and (uncheck) - remove from server when deleted from deleted folder as this was also checked off? If this works will it than keep my original emails in my xfinity inbox in tact if i delete them out of em client when they copy to em as they (always do) if i have em open for about 5 minutes. Again this is all that i am trying to prevent in the future is that when i am using em client for say about 5 minutes all the emails that i have in my xfinity inbox copy to em client and so i delete them out of em not wanting them in em but only want my originals in xfinity inbox but by the next day they are deleted from my xfinity inbox and can only assume it is because i deleted them out of em and it must have wiped them from my server. Maybe because of what you picked up on in that i may need to check and uncheck those settings above to correct this? Paul what is your take on this please.

Thank you Paul
Have a good night
Jerry 

Hi, yes that should be the correct setting for what you’re trying to achieve.

Just so you know, POP is a protocol used for only receiving new emails, there’s no synchronization for read and unread messages, just new email is on the server (that wasn’t downloaded before) so it’s downloaded.
You can use the server settings so your online storage isn’t just filled with emails, but if you don’t mind that, you can leave all your messages on the server (that’s the suggested setup).

I hope this helps,
Paul.

Thanks Paul for taking the time to help by responding to all my questions asked.

Sincerely
Jerry

Hi jerry, no problem. If you have any more issues or questions about the application, let us know, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.