My email connection to gmail seems to work fine but on eM startup I always get this XMPP failed to connect error. What can I do to fix this?

My email connection to gmail seems to work fine but on eM startup I always get this XMPP failed to connect error. What can I do to fix this?

Hello David, sorry to see this, but unfortunately I’m not quite sure what error you’re referring to, can you please make a screenshot of the error and submit it to us here on the forum for more information about the error? When the error occurs, please switch to the Log tab, copy the content of the Log and submit it to us here on forum for more details about the error as well.

What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check the exact release number in Help > About?

Regards,

sent reply email.  screen prints not possible here.

You can add screenshots to your reply by clicking the camera button while composing, but please add the copy of the log from the log tab for detailed information about the error.

Thank you,

Camera button? I tried to cut-n-paste using . I am
a 58 year old dummy and not a 12 year old socially challenged genius. Can you
help walk me through this a bit more?

Hello David, it seems like your connection is being forcibly closed either by your server or by security software on your computer, based on the error included in the log the request can’t be processed.

Try to disable your security software temporarily and check if the issue persists.

Regards,

I turned off both Norton 360 Smart firewall and Auto-protect.  This made no difference.

I figured out myself.  No thanks go to eM client support.  XMPP (aka Jabber) is a protocol that GMAIL is not supporting.  The fix is too simple turn off Chatting which can be done under the Tool -< Accounts -> Chat.  simply disable the service.   I cannot believe I had to send all this logging and screen prints only to Have to solve the problem myself. What a run-around by eM Client support. Makes me want to find another email solution.

eM Client supports Google Talk an XAMPP based chat service from Google, this chat service is automatically a part of your google account and eM Client can use the chat feature to message other contacts using Google talk on their devices. Google Talk is no longer a developed feature by Google as they’ve introduced Hangouts which no longer support XMPP, the current service Google Talk however supports the protocol and I’m able to use the Chat feature with Google accounts as standard.

Disabling the service thus is not really a solution for the problem. I’m not quite sure what has been causing the service to throw errors, but please note I was not forcing you to resolve the problem with us, but as a Free license user you’re not entitled to any priority support - if you’d like to get faster responses and access to the priority support, you can obtain a valid PRO license here http://www.emclient.com/pricing.

Regards,

If you knew this when I asked the first time, why did you make me go through all the hassle of log files, screen shots and using a camera feature I knew nothing about. You are implying that you would have not given me the run around if I had paid for for service. I suspect you did not know about the gtalk issue and are now being deceptive about it and trying to make me out to be the “bad guy”. If you want to be respected through out your career and life, you should really ask your self, “would you want to be a customer of yourself?”

Not really sure what you’re trying to suggest, I was trying to help you resolve the problem, unfortunately I need some information about the issue before diagnosing it. You’ve reported Gmail does not support XMPP thus you’ve disabled it, what I’m suggesting is this is not true and the feature should be working when enabled.

Since you’ve complained about inadequate support I was just trying to point out that our focus is primarily set on our PRO customers and answers here may be posted with a delay as keeping our PRO support customers happy is our primary focus. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. If you’re suggesting we are giving bad free support, I’m sorry but we do what we can, note that undervaluing our achievements won’t help you resolve the problem quickly.

Regards,