Multiple active languages in spell checker

Hello,
yes, I was replying to Peter who did not know you could change the language.
Unfortunately multi-language spellchecker or automatic detection is still not a planned feature at this time.

We plan to make additions to the Message writing window’s toolbar in eM Client 7.1, ‘Check spelling’ will be among these options, so you will be able to add it to your toolbar.

Regards,
Olivia

Thanks Olivia.

We will wait and hope.

Regards.

I need to change the spell checker language so often. If not considering multiple languages at the same time, another interesting solution might be to use a different language based on the sender or recipient.

It is more than overdue that emClient at least allows to quickly change the spellchecker language (not with the keyboards – most people keep the native keyboard layout, even when writing in other languages!)
Better – and not really hard to implement – would be to automatically detect the used language.
It shows that the programmers from emClient do not use other languages. If they would need to switch the spellchecker language for every second e-mail (like I and others have to), this feature would be implemented the day before yesterday!

See my reply at https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/button-to-quickly-change-spell-checker-language

I also beleive that auto language switching would be a really helpful feature. The software should support an auto language recognizion or at least allow 2 “active” languages for spell checking. Most companies have local and international mails to deal with, and having to manually switch the language for every second email is quite a hassle. 

You can have 2 active languages by creating a custom dictionary that contains the contents of the second language dictionary.

The only issue with that is you may misspell a word in language 1 that exists in language 2, but that is not so common. Some users have commented that having to use two mouse clicks to switch languages is unacceptable, so this may be a better solution. 

How would you create a custom dictionary? That might be a sufficient help for me (until they potentially integrate a better tool).

Here is the scenario. You want to set the primary language to UK English, but type multiple emails in French also, and don’t want to change dictionaries manually.

Copy the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\Dictionaries\fr-FR.dic, or a French word list from another application, to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\en-GB.custdic. The format is important, so one word per line. It won’t work with a word list where the words are in a single paragraph separated by commas.

As long as your spell check language in eM Client is set to UK English, you will now also have the French dictionary in the word list.

The custom dictionary is named according to the language you have chosen to check spelling with. For German it will be de-DE.custdic. If the custom dictionary does not exist, start composing an email and add a misspelled word by right-click and choosing add to dictionary.

Thank you, I got it!

Hi, spell-checking multiple languages while typing is very important to us as well. Unfortunately I cannot make the above scenario to work.

I followed your instructions and copied file C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\Dictionaries\fr-FR.dic to C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\en-US.custdic but still no luck!

I have set en-US as auto spell-checker language but when I compose a message French spelling is only checked if I change the setting in the spell menu. While typing, only English words are auto-checked.

Can you please help?

You don’t copy the fr-FR.dic to the the AppData folder. You copy the contents of the fr-FR.dic and paste it into the en-US.custdic file. That means open the fr-FR.dic file, select all the text, copy, close the file and open the en-US.custdic file and paste. 

Then set the spell check language to US English in eM Client.

Though copying the file to the AppData folder and renaming it to en-US.custdic will work, it will just delete any custom words you  already added to the dictionary.

Hi there,

Gary’s fix is working great if the word list you’re copying is clean. By clean I mean you only have words in it. Mine (which happens to be C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\Dictionaries\fr-FR.dic) was crawled with numbers, spaces and . With these symbols, eMclient was not recognizing the French words I was typing after the merge (BTW I’m using the latest beta, not sure it matters).
Therefore, if you’re experiencing the same troubles as I did (simple words not being recognized in the language you put into you .custdic file) then clean it.
It’s pretty simple to do:
-open the custdic with your favorite notepad soft
-search for the numbers from 0 to 9 and replace them by nothing
-search for \ and replace it by nothing
-seach for the space (copy and paste it in the search field) and replace it by nothing.

It should do the job. 

However I’m still working a on fix for the custdic to recognize conjugated verbs.

{Re: both of the above replies]

This won’t work either. To start with, there is no en-US.custdic file in the AppData folder (even though I added new words to the dictionary, the en-US.custdic does not show in any EM directory). Anyway, I created a new file and added 6 simple words but still spell-checking fails to verify them while typing. As a matter of fact they don’t validate even if I select Spell-Check from the menu (to make sure, I closed and reopened EM but nope!).

Another major problem I encountered is that in case I switch to a non-Latin keyboard all non-Latin words are considered valid unless I explicitly select Spell-Check from the menu.

So your language is not set to US English. If you use German, it will be de-DE.cusdic. If you use French it will be fr-FR.custdic etc.

As explained previously there is NO file with custdic extension in any of the directories! (The extra words I added are clearly stored somewhere and validate correctly when I choose Spell-Check en-US from the menu but such a file does not exist)

Is it possible we are using different versions? Mine is 7.2.38732.0

It does not matter which version you are using, the files are created the same.

Go to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client, and see which custdic files are there. Maybe you never added any words, then there would not be a custom dictionary.

You can create one by composing a new message, and intentionally misspelling a word. Then when it is underlined in red, right-click on it and add it to the custom dictionary. Go back to the directory and a custdic file will have been created.

I located the en-US.custdic file under eM Client directory and adding words to it works as long as they all belong to the Latin alphabet.

So, if we need to write both Latin and non-Latin words in a message this fix will NOT work. While spell-check is set to English, non-Latin words are not marked red so we might easily misinterpret them as correct. All words will be validated correctly only if we explicitly switch spell-check to the specific languages from the menu.

Any workaround for this?

Gary’s suggestion to load an alternate language dictionary into the custom dictionary file is useful, but the problem is that then your custom additions will no longer be kept in a separate place, instead being scattered throughout an enormous file. I think a better solution is to combine the .DIC files for all the languages of interest into a single file, name it something else and place it into the C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Dictionaries folder. You will also have to similarly combine the .AFF files for the same languages (only leaving one “SET ISO8859-1” line at the top of the resulting file and excluding it for the subsequent languages). The .AFF file must be named the same as the .DIC file. I have done this, and it seems to be working out perfectly for me so far. Then, restart EM Client and select the new, combined “language” on the spell check languages menu. The net effect of this workaround is exactly what you would expect to see if EM Client had the option to set multiple spell check languages.

1 Like

Oh, that is really clever. Thanks Elegua. :star_struck: