Moving to MacOS

Once I have installed eMC on my forthcoming MacBook Pro will I be able to transfer my latest Windows11 eMC backup to set it up that way or must I start from scratch?

Yes, you can move eM Client with all your settings and data to the Mac.

Please see the first method described here: New device and eM Client? No problem! | eM Client

1 Like

Thanks Gary. Yes, I have made the move in the past between two Windows machines so I am glad to read that it’s the same between OSs.

@rafikiphoto

will I be able to transfer my latest Windows11 eMC backup to set it up that way or must I start from scratch?

I did exactly that recently and when I tried to restore eM Client backup for Windows on the Mac, it failed to restore and I had to then use the 2nd method.

I found out later from @Gary that it was because it was a slight .x difference in the versions. I had presumes a .x on the end wouldn’t make any difference to the restore "being it was still V9.2 on PC & Mac at the time, but it does make a difference.

So make sure you are using “an identical eM Client version number or later version” when you restore your Win 11 backup on the Mac if you use Step 1 Method.

That’s good to know. Thanks for the tip.

I just did an analysis of version numbers of Mac and Windows. I will have to roll back my Windows installation to 9.2.2054.0 and download that same earlier version for Mac too. That is the most recent version number common to both Windows and Mac. All later versions have significant point variations…or use method 2.

@rafikiphoto

I will have to roll back my Windows installation to 9.2.2054.0 and download that same earlier version for Mac too. That is the most recent version number common to both Windows and Mac

If you have the latest eM Client V9.2.2157 already for Windows, you can restore that backup with the latest eM Client V9.2.2230 for Mac using Method 1. It should upgrade the older Windows mail database.

If it doesn’t, then use Method 2 by extracting the contents of the Windows backup.zip file on the Mac and pasting it in the following hidden folder. /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/eM Client

Note:- Delete the contents of the above eM Client hidden folder first before replacing the contents.

Thanks again @cyberzork. Great tips. My MacBook Pro eta middle of next week so I’ll report back once it’s up and running.

Welcome to Mac! I think you made a wise choice.

As a dedicated Mac owner I can tell you that eMClient works very well on the platform. I am presently using version 10, which I believe is still in beta. Outside of a few crashes now and then (related to the beta I am certain), it works wonderfully. You will not be disappointed.

1 Like