Moving data to new location

Hello,
I want to move my data to a different patition in my PC. I know that I can do it via “Settings > General > Storage”. It says I have to move all my data folders. 

I just want to make sure which files are these. Only “.dat” or everything except “settings.xml”.

Hi Emre,

I believe eM Client will move all the files in the default data directory to your newly selected directory, when you change the ‘storage’ folder.

Hi Emre, Hi Hans, your current database will not be moved when selecting your new storage directory.
In order to move your current database go to the current storage folder and copy the whole content of the current eM client directory (except the settings.xml file as instructed in the settings window).

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Thank a lot for the clarification Paul.

No problem, let us know if you come across any other issues or questions, or if you need further assistance with moving your storage. We’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.

I have a \windows tablet pc running windows 8.1 full version, I only have a 64 gb ssd, i want to move and use my 64 gb sd card as my file location, will there be any problems with using an sd for this application? Is all the email and associated data by default stored the user eM Client folder? Regards
Brent

Hi Brent, if you have the sd card always in your tablet, it should be no problem, however note, that when removing your SD card, this might end up with a corrupt database. It’s always safer to keep your data on the hard drive, or always keep a backup of your database.

All you need to copy is the eM Client folder from the Roaming folder.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

This thread is almost a year old but I’m hoping I can still get clarification. Are these steps correct for moving database to the D drive?

1. Create empty folder for the database on D drive
  2. Change location in Tool:Settings:Storage
  3. Copy all the files and subfolders in the EM Client folder to the new folder on D drive EXCEPT the one xml file called “settings.”

Question: If these are all the steps, is there a reason I need to copy the files from the C drive to the D drive rather than move them?

Thanks for your help. Love this email client, by the way, and I’ve tried almost all the desktop ones.

Hello Douglas, you can move your files, it’s also possible to move your database folder first, after you do so, next eM Client run will create a new database on the original location, which you can use to direct your storage to the specified location. What’s important is that the original database location has to remain with the .XML file on the original location as it includes the path to the new location.

Hope this helps,

Paul, thank you so much for the quick and helpful response. I did it exactly as you suggested and everything is working perfectly. This is great because now I have all my data (email, documents, music, photos, videos, downloads) on the D drive with a daily backup to an external hard drive. And rather than do imaging of the entire computer weekly in case of hard drive failure, I can now just image the C Drive with its system files, etc., on a less frequent basis. Many thanks for your help and for your great product.
-Doug

Hello Douglas, glad it works, please make sure to let us know if you come across this or any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Regards,

Paul, or someone at technical support, if you’re still listening to this thread, what are the proper steps to take if I want to go back to Version 6 from 7? (Not happy with many aspects of it on a non-touch laptop.) I tried uninstalling 7 and installing 6 from scratch, but I must be missing a step. When I direct storage to D:/eM Client, where I’ve had it for a long time in both Versions 6 and now 7, it only picks up new emails. The thousands I have stored are not seen by the program. As soon as I uninstall 6 and reinstall 7, everything’s there. Any idea what I’m missing? Or is Version 6 no longer compatible with Version 7 files/folders? Thanks.

Version 6 and 7 use distinct databases, that’s why there’s the migration step in version 7 has to import all your old data and then offers to delete the old version 6 data. Both of these databases can be in the same folder and don’t interfere with the other.