Move email domain

If I move my email address (using a custom domain) to a new provider, how will emclient react? What will happen to all the existing emails with the same email address but a now unreachable server?

Do you use IMAP or POP3?

It’s set up for imap.

If I move my email address (using a custom domain) to a new provider, how will emclient react?

If you move your exiting custom email domain to a new host with the same custom domain email address you normally just need to move your current MX (post office) records when your DNS is updated etc. The way this is done “can vary” depending on your old and new host front end mail configurations. You normally speak to your new host how to do this.

When you move the MX Records and DNS from one host to another there can be a few days till everything is propogated and working around the globe, but usually doesn’t take too long. So yes peeps sending to your custom email address will for a few days get emails bounced back or go to a black hole. But that’s unavoidable when moving to a new host unless your very lucky.

As far as eM Client goes, it all depends on “what type of mail server you are changing to” if you need to do anything. eg: If you are going from an eg: IMAP to IMAP mail server, then shouldn’t need to do anything once or the MX Records and DNS are transferred over.

However if you are going from an eg: IMAP to Exchange type server, then you would normally then have to remove your current IMAP mail account and run the eM Client Acct automatic mail wizard again or manual exchange setup, as they are differant mail server settings in eM Client.

So you just need to talk to “your new Host” technical support to “first help you with the transfer of your Mail and Web Domain records”, as well as “ask them what email setup” you need for mail clients.

Will emclient keep all the locally stored email history?

Will emclient keep all the locally stored email history?

If you have email in “Local Folders” at the bottom left of eM Client and remove and re-add an email acct, the locally stored email will still be there.

Note:- If you do have to remove any type of account in eM Client, allways backup first though via “Menu / Backup”. That way you can allways restore if you have any problems.

1 Like