"Modern" theme sometimes starts with wrong appearance

I’m using eM Client 9.2.1841 on macOS 12.6.5.

I have the eM Client theme set to “Modern” and my macOS Appearance set to “Auto”.
When I start eM Client it sometimes starts with the wrong colour scheme. This might be happening when I had last used it in the evening and I open it again the next morning, in which case it would still be using the dark colour scheme. When I change mac OS Appearance to something else and then back to “Auto” the eMClient colour scheme fixes itself to the correct one.

Ive found when you select the “Modern Theme” in eM Client for Mac and have Auto appearance set in Ventura it turns eM Client (some of the time) into like a “Dark Mode” even when it’s not night time.

Note:- I think this is more of an OS appearance issue though rather than an eM Client issue.

The way around it I found, is to use the eM Client “Light Theme” which is very similar to the Modern Theme, and doesn’t seem to get affected when you have Ventura set to Auto appearance any time of the day.

Or don’t use Auto appearance in the OS.

I’ve just updated to the latest Ventura 13.4 OS and eM Client 9.2.1841 and the Auto appearance setting now appears to work ok with the Modern theme. So try updating to the latest Mac OS.

This is not an option for me since the “Light Theme” is not responsive in the sense that it goes light or dark depending on the time of day. This is the whole point of the “Auto” appearance.

Unfortunately, my late 2014 Mac Mini doesn’t support macOS Ventura, so this isn’t an option for me and I can’t verify if that fixes it.
However, eM Client is literally the only application on my Mac that is exhibiting this behavior. This seems like a strong indication that there is something wrong about the “OS appearance” implementation in eM Client. It appears it doesn’t always correctly update the appearance on start-up.

This issue is still bugging me on a regular basis! Is the eMClient development team aware of this? Is this the right platform for reporting bugs?

It may have to do with some delay in the Night Shift options in the MacOS, which change the Modern theme from Light to Dark depending on what mode the MacOS is in.

All I can suggest is that you upgrade the MacOS to the current version. If that is not possible, then use either the Light or Dark theme, rather than the Modern, so it doesn’t switch automatically.

1 Like

Night Shift is disabled on my machine, so this has nothing to with it.

I already have the latest version of macOS that is compatible with my Mac installed (12.6.7 — Ventura isn’t supported).

I refuse to accept that the bug is happening due to not using the latest version of macOS being used since emClient is literally the only application on my PC that is not applying the OS’s light / dark mode appearance correctly. There is no reason it should not be able to do it right if no other application has this issue.

Kindly confirm if this is the right platform for reporting bugs.

This issue is still bugging me. Is the eMClient development team aware of this?

I’ve asked this multiple times before with no answer: Is this the right platform for reporting bugs??

Is the eMClient development team working on this issue?