Mobile app can't access shared mailboxes

I realize that not everyone here in the eM Client community is a user with this need, but for business customers one of the best things about eM Client is that it natively and smoothly supports MS Exchange’s “shared mailboxes” feature.

For those who don’t know, if you add an Exchange email account to the desktop version of eM Client, the “Exchange Web Services” tab shows you the “Accounts You Can Access” function under the Delegation heading. This is terrific and works well. At my companies, there are several “generic contact” type mailboxes and multiple team members access them. eM Client does this very well on the desktop.

But the mobile app, that I’m using on my Android devices, doesn’t appear to have this functionality built in anywhere. It’s a serious limitation to the way I can conduct business and handle email when I’m on the road and not at my laptop.

Am I missing something or possibly not understanding how to view shared mailboxes (and send mail “as” those accounts, as well) from the mobile app?

Could be just not implemented yet.

Or it “might be now enabled” in the latest update.

There is a new Android app update V9.3.4908 as of Oct 19th in the Playstore which did have bug fixes and other updates.

Go to Settings > Accounts.

Tap your Exchange account.

Scroll to the end of the options and tap on EXCHANGE in the Services section.

Here you will find the delegation and public folders options.

1 Like

First of all… YAY! Thank you! I didn’t know this was in there.

Then secondly, however… I’ve “added” two of the shared mailboxes that I have access to. But how do I “see” them and interact with them? They do not appear anywhere I can find in my large folder scroll on the left side of the screen.

UPDATE: ah, interesting, maybe some restarting is needed. One shared mailbox showed up after a reboot. Perhaps the other one will sync/appear shortly. Thank you!

You may have to restart the app.

Yep that appears to be part of it, thanks

update… @Gary 's solution partially worked, in that i can see one of several shared mailboxes.

but no amount of rebooting, clearing cache, restarting the app, etc. seems to get the rest to appear.

to summarize more…

1. those steps worked to find the setting

2. i was able to search for and successfully find the many shared mailboxes i have rights to. (there are two separate Exchange accounts and each one has two additional shred mailboxes i should be accessing)

3. one account showed up with one of the shared mailboxes in my folders down the left side. the other shared mailboxes do not show up at all, despite being “added” in that settings window

Latest Update: so this is funky… now all the shared mailboxes have started showing up at the TOP of my long list of scrolling folders, etc, on the left side fly-out pane. So i can technically tap to see the inbox iteself and check new messages.

but these shared mailboxes do not show up in the long scrolling list on the left side, so i can’t easily drive down into sub-folders, etc. (save for one of the shared mailboxes, which does indeed show up still and has from the start)

Yeah… multiple reboots, cache wipes, etc. later and the same result persists…

Only one of the shared mailboxes appears to have properly connected. It was the first one I tried to connect.

1. All subsequent ones sort of fail to connect/integrate fully with the eM Client mobile app. Their inboxes appear in the very top “inboxes” list of the left-side menu tree

2. They do not appear anywhere further down in the main list of all accounts and thus sub-folders aren’t visible

3. It is not possible to send email “as” the other shared mailboxes, which is one of the essential functions for our business

all the shared mailboxes have started showing up at the TOP of my long list of scrolling folders

Where do the shared mailbox folders normally show in eM Client for desktop ?

Do they normally show in your A-Z folder list below your exchange account primary inbox, outbox etc.

screenshots…

1. my desktop eM Client shows my individual Exchange account for, say, “RTA” and below that it shows one of the shared mailboxes i have displayed, called “RTA Contact”

1. on mobile, i do have the ability to search for and ostensibly enable/display that shared mailbox. i have it turned on.

“RTA Contact” shows up in my “inboxes” list at the top, just below my individual “RTA” account

but if i scroll down in the actual mail folders list, where it should appear there, it fails to. no folders, no entries, etc.

and no means of sending mail as this identity, either

this is what it looks like for the one instance of a delegated/shared mailbox that appears to have worked properly when attaching it in eM Client for mobile…

… all folders and sub-folders show up as expected. Can also “send as” this identity/mailbox with ease from the usual drop-down menu during mail composition.

Likely final update… for whatever reason, simply leaving my phone alone all day and then checking it later appears to have been the resolution. A bit unsatisfying given the lack of any clear reason why it would take so long (granted, i’m no expert in MS Exchange, but it does seem very curious) but as of now all of my shared mailboxes appear not only in the inbox list but also down in the scroll of accounts and folders.

I appear to also likely be able to “send as” any of those addresses. So… success? :woman_shrugging::joy:

1 Like