I love eM Client but lately I’ve been having a serious issue: I do not receive all the emails, particularly those from Amazon. It is very annoying. Conflict with Windows 8.1 Mail ? Can somebody help ?
IMAP or POP account?
Hi Mike, eM Client should not be causing this when windows Mail application is present. What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check the exact version number in Help > About?
Are you using an IMAP or a POP account?
Did you check your junk folder if your mail server doesn’t filter the message out as Junk?
I know this is an old post, but I’ve got a similar problem and thought I’d revive this thread. I’ve also got a problem with random missing emails. The weird part is that an incoming email will trigger the Emclient popup and chime (like it’s supposed to), but the message itself doesn’t subsequently appear in my in-box, and cannot be found anywhere on my computer. I’m running Win 7 Pro x64, with Emclient v 6.0.24432.0. Using imap and smtp to connect to gmail account. Nothing shows in the Emclient logs. I’ve also got printing problems, but I’ll start a new thread with that. I really, really like the program, and would like to get the paid version, but I’m going to have to abandon entirely if there’s not a fix.
SOLVED (I hope). See https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/missing-messages-lost-in-space