Mails moved to junk folder for no reason. Deleted all rules in eM, and all filters in gMail settings.

Hello there eM team, I gotta say first that I love your client.
Can you help me with little problem i have?
So basically sometimes eM client moves emails from inbox to junk email without asking me. There was times when I didn’t even get notification that e-mail arrived and it was instantly moved to junk.

Since first smart thing to do was to check rules I did and I found nothing that could cause mails to go directly to junk. But to be sure I deleted all rules listed. Then I went to my Gmail filter settings also deleting all filters just to be sure. This problem started about month ago and I have to check my junk folder as I check my inbox folder and use function move to inbox and remove blacklisted domain/email in hope for problem to be resolved. I hope that you could understand what I’m saying. Cheers :slight_smile:

Hello Mihailo,
does this happen to all your accounts or just a specific one? Do you encounter any error pop-ups? Can you tell me which version you’re running (found in “Help > About”)?

Best regards,
Olivia

It’s happening to my gMail account and I’m running version 6.0.23181.0

Is there any way to make eM not move messages that are not ABSOLUTELY 100% spam to junk e-mail folder? I cannot find a way to stop it from happening. Today it moved one mail to junk from a well known email address that sent probably 100+ mails to me and I never marked it spam or used function move to junk. I didn’t encounter popups for this specific gmail account. I usually get popups for my other mail when it runs out of space.

Hi Mihailo,
that is indeed very strange, I tested if my gmail account behaved in the same way, but even after I put an item into the junk folder, I received the message from the same sender into my inbox again… does this moving into spam happen in eM Cleint only, or is the mail dropped into junk folder first in gmail on the servers? Try removing the emails from junk using the “Move to Inbox” option and not simple drag and drop. Put your trusted email addresses into your contacts.

If none of this helps, I can also recommend trying a newer release, for example 233330 - http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.233…

I am experiencing this same issue. I have 2 accounts linked in EM (both cox.net accounts). One gets email fine. The other gets maybe 25% of the mail delivered to the inbox, but everything else goes to the Junk Email Folder. First thing I did was select “move item to inbox” for 5-10 emails. After a couple seconds the emails moved back to the junk folder. So I went to rules, deleted all the blacklisted email address and unchecked the “blacklist” option. Its still happening. I noticed it decided to move a BUNCH of my really old emails to the junk folder as well. I have since gotten a notice that a new version was available, which I installed, and the issue still persists.

Hi Daniel,
do you have any blacklist or special spam rules set up on your server? Are your emails in the spam folder if you check them in a webmail interface instead of eM Client?

Regards,
Olivia

I checked and a spam filter is active, however all it does is add the word “SPAM” to the subject of a suspected email. No blacklisting settings are enabled.

I tried closing EM and moving all the emails from the junk email folder in the webmail and they didn’t go back. I waited 30 mins and then opened EM and instantly Selected “move to inbox” and within a couple of seconds EM started moving the same emails back into my spam folder. (I am using an IMAP email server so everything syncs). after a couple of minutes the emails started showing up in the spam folder on the webmail as well. Its something with EM that’s causing this

Hi Daniel,
if your emails are labeled as SPAM by your server, eM Client will send them to the Spam/Junk folder. Can you change the SPAM filtering on the server so the SPAM label is not assigned to these emails?

Regards,
Olivia

it only adds the word “spam” to the subject line, and EM has NOT moved any of those to the junk folder. it’s adding emails that should be from my “trusted senders” list to the junk folder as well as emails that are not on the trusted senders list

Hi Daniel,
have you tried disabling eM Client’s spam rule as well? If you have the Spam and Blacklist rules both unchecked and you still get your messages in SPAM, it cannot be eM Client’s fault. IT must be either server or a different device/application that you check your emails on.

Regards,
Olivia

I think I solved this problem by going to my mail service provider (GoDaddy) and changing the settings on their end.  I put the URL in that Godaddy kept blocking and since then I haven’t had any problems.  So it appears if Godaddy (or your email service provider) flags it as Junk, emClient is going to flag it as junk.

For me, I stopped using EM client and stopped having an issue. My SP wasn’t blocking anything (I had all blocking turned off for both my accounts). I removed EM and reinstalled and now it doesn’t seem to be constantly moving good emails (at least for the last week or 2). Even though they don’t want to take the blame, it was all EM causing the issue (if it was my SP it would have happened to both my email accounts as the settings are identical).

Hi Richard,
that is exactly as designed, since eM Client synchronizes with the server, Server rules have higher priority and are applied first before eM client’s own rules.
So if something is marked as spam by the server, eM client cannot move it back to Inbox on its own.

Regards,
Olivia

Uups. I missed this thread – this ist still a problem in emClient (V7.1.33101.0) . After deleting the standard filters “Blacklist” & “Spam” it seems as if the e-mails are no more erroreously moved to the junk folder.  Some simple “move to folder” rules are left, I will see, if these are working. Currently, I’d say that die filter rules of emClient work more or less accidentally.

Update: Removing “Blacklist & Spam” there is no faulty filtering any more. Because of lack of RegEX options there was a lot of spam in the in box. This could be solved with an external filter that masters RegEX. However, this is an unsatisfactory solution, because it is now necessary to check the outsorted e-mails in several places. Here emClient urgently needs to improve, because in the long run this is a reason for returning to my old mail client (10 years old) that can deal with this easily.