Mail pop-up password problem (intermittent)

I get an intermittent pop-up message saying there is a password problem with some of my e-mail accounts - there is in fact no problem  as the passwords are correct. This pop-up windows is incredibly irritating and not needed as there is an icon indicating the problem next to the accounts listing. Each time it happens I have to get rid of the pop-up. I have disabled “operations windows” in the General settings but this has made no difference.

How can I stop this problem please?

As an aside, I moved to the emClient from Outlook about 9 months back and think it is wonderful - so glad I made the move.

Sometimes when a correct password is not accepted, it is because the security policy is not set correctly for your account.

To check that, go to Menu > Tools > Accounts and click on the SMTP and IMAP tabs. Depending on what port you have, select the correct security policy combination from the following list, then re-enable the operations window and see if that makes any difference.

SMTP
Port 587 = Force usage of SSL/TLS
Port 25 = Use SSL/TLS if available
Port 465 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

IMAP
Port 993 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 143 = Use SSL/TLS if available

POP3
Port 995 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 110 = Use SSL/TLS if available

The underlined ones are the best option for security if your server supports them. SMTP port 465 was reassigned and should no longer be used for SMTP, though many mail providers still recommend and use it.

Thanks for the fast feedback Gary.
The software seems to automatically default to IMAP Port 143 Force usage of SSL/TLS so I still get the problem. Is there no way of disabling the pop-up?

You can change the IMAP port to 993 and the policy above. See if there is any difference as that is standard. 

As long as the option is deselected in the settings, the window should not appear.

Same pop-up problem using Port 993 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy).

I had already unchecked the “Show window when an error occurs” setting - this seems to work with other error messages but not the password message.

Is the pop-up message from eM Client?

What version of eM Client are you using?

The pop-up seems to be part of eMClient and is titled “Password required” - please enter your username and password for… [Server says “[UNAVAILABLE] Account is temporarily unavailable” and with boxes to enter the user name and password".

Can you disable your anti-virus application and firewall and try again.

Just done that (Bitdefender) and no difference. Am using the latest version of emClient. I would stress that this is an intermittent problem and when I run the account diagnostics, all is OK.

Gary, it seems that I am stuck with this pop-up problem - my question is … can it be added as a new feature request i.e. the setting “show window when an error occurs” should apply to ALL error problems?

I would appreciate a response please.

If this started because of the recent update, then the immediate solution is to uninstall that version of eM Client making sure  NOT  to delete the database when prompted.

You can then download and install the previous version of eM Client from the Release History. Hopefully all will be back to normal.

It has been going on for a long time - not related at all to the recent update.

The problem is still there - whenever there is an access problem, the message window pops up and gets in the way. I’ve had to close this window multiple times today.

You don’t seem to be acknowledging that this is a problem. Why not?

All I can say is that in my experience, unticking the option as in my screenshot above results in no further error pop-ups.

As to the cause of the problem, maybe your server is not fully compatible with eM Client. Using the settings as suggested above should result in no further password problems unless there is some issue with your server.