Lost my archives

I am a recent convert to eM Client.  After transferring all of my emails to eM Client, everything seemed to be working well. I then setup automatic archiving to archive anything over 180 days old. It seemed to work ok and about three months of messages were showing in my Archive folder.  Today, I went to find something and found my archived emails had disappeared.  It seems the archived input folder was changed to a file, rather than a folder, which contained a single email showing no date.  It appears that the date was really August 12 and it should have been in my the inbox still.  What could have happened.  Does Archiving work?

Hello Ray,
this sounds like a very strange issue and we have not encountered such problem with Archiving before.
Have you changed something today/yesterday in settings?
Are your Local folders set to be showed?
Is the whole Archive folder tree missing?

Regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia,

I do not believe I changed anything since I set the archive except for setting backup on the 14th.  It did do the backup.  I looking in the backup, the Archive does show 40.MB in mail_data.dat which seems to me to indicate that the Archives are in the backup. My Local Folders are not normally expanded. The Archive Folder is not within the Local Folder.  It is after it at the same level as the Mail Folders and Local Folder.  In the archiving settings, the scope is set to input box only.  Ah, I remember another change I made was to add 2 folders to my mail account.

Ray 

Olivia,

They all came back.  It seems some additional emails were  automatically added to Archive and now, they all seem to be showing up ok.  I am, again, a happy camper.   However, it all seems suspicious to me.

Ray

Hello Ray,
by Local folders showing I meant if the option to ‘Show Local folders’ in the settings is checked.
Glad the Archive appeared again, though it is indeed a strange issue, but it’s good that the archive folders weren’t removed but just hidden.
I’ll keep an eye on this issue.

Regards,
Olivia

Thanks Olivia.  In researching this I found that the original write to Archive was on the 14th.  Then on the seventeenth there was another addition.  The AppData showed that new files with extention .dat-wal were added on the 17th. No other files were updated.  Yesterday, the 18th, more files were added and all of the files had modifications. I believe that on the 17th, I moved an email from input to Archive using Move to Folder.  Could that have screwed it up?

Ray