Lost a setting in Read Mail

How did you export the data? Did you use the export feature in File > Export? What type of files do you have located in the exported data folder?

Thank you,
Paul.

Yes, I used File>Export. I exported every folder in the complete ‘tree’ in eM Client. I exported them as .eml files. When I go to the exported data folder I see my tree strucures again. If I drill down in my main inbox I see individual mails.

When I try to import again I select an account([email protected]), and tick all folders. Then when asked for the destination folder I select [email protected] again. I also tried that with [email protected] and Local Folders and got the same rsponse each time.

So I don’t know why I get the above message.

Hi Mike, if I recall this correctly, you’re not using an IMAP account (thus you can not import data into the account), but you should be able to import the data into your local folders.
Are you seeing any errors while trying to import the .eml files? Can you try to open your local folders in eM Client and drag and drop the messages into an existing folder inside your local folders?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hello Paul
I’m not using IMAP, as you say, never have done.  The only error I see is the one mentioned above (doesn’t support required file type).
I’m confused here. I wanted to be able to re-create my existing folder structure, all my mail goes into the inbox folder for that address (rosbert@fastmail) and then Outbox, Sent, Trash, Drafts, JunkMail. The same for the other ccount (backupfm@fastmail).

When I have read mail, I delete unwanted stuff
, and stuff I want to keep goes ito a folder tree I created under Local Folders, called Filed. An Amazon folder, Fastmail, eM Client etc. all mail gets stored in that tree. I created a folder; Filed, under Local Folders and tried to drag and drop all data from the exported folder Filed, but although as I was dragging I saw the icon moving as soon as I dropped it onto the Filed folder nothing happened. Same with copy & paste. I don’t know where to fo from here other than to restore a possibly corrupted backup again.
Hope all that makes sense!

Hi, I tried to replicate the issue and I believe I know where the issue is based.
When choosing the folder for Import, you can not select your account or “local folders” you have to select one of the folders located in this account (e.g. Inbox), or create a new folder for your import before you perform the import.

But please note, you can not upload data to your POP3 account, as the POP3 protocol does not support upload.

Also this is just my suggestion here, but you could save yourself a lot of time if you were using an IMAP account instead, as IMAP keeps all your data synchronized between the client and the server.
So if your computer crashes you should always be able to restore your data from the server by simply setting up the account and you can keep the folder structure on the server just as well.

But that’s just my opinion.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hello Paul
Yes, right again! I was giving eM Client more credit that I should. I was expecting to import into the existing file structure. No matter. I now have all my mail back into the ‘new’ setup, It is quite laborious  but important to do so. It imported all the mail as unread so I still have work to do.

The important question is this; will what I have done have created an un-corrupted database? Before, every time it crashed it would go through the checks OK without errors, so can I rely on that in future?

Anyway, I couldn’t have done it without you, so my grateful thanks to you! I will leave IMAP for the moment, I’ve had enough trauma for a while.

Now I need to wait and see how it behaves. I think I must have had the corrupted DB on my old system as I had the same symptoms.
Regards

Mike

Hi Mike, I believe some of the database files might got corrupted prior to your backup, that’s why when you restore from the backup the application crashed anyways.
However creating a clean database should let you avoid these problems now, I’m glad everything’s working now, please let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.