Local Folders Question

When I turn off Local Folders I have no access to Calendar or Contacts:
"This folder contains no items and no operation can be performed.
The first email account I set up is in the Local Folders. So, if I turn off Local Foldes I
don’t see my account.
The next account I set up wasn’t in a folder by itself.

Is there a way to turn off Local Folders and still have access to Calendar or Contacts??
What determines if an account uses only the Local Folders?

James

If you setup the account as POP3 and chose to store messages in Local Folders, then you have to keep them enabled. If you disable Local Folders, you won’t see the account.

If you didn’t choose to do that, the email folders will still be visible with Local Folders disabled, but because it is POP3 it has no calendar and contacts from the server. In that scenario they are stored in Local Folders, so they need to be enabled if you want access to contacts and a calendar.

Ok, I see that now.

But what would I use the Local Folders for?

As I said, because it is POP3 it has no calendar and contacts from the server. In that scenario they are stored in Local Folders, so they need to be enabled.

@James5

But what would I use the Local Folders for?

One other reason why you would enable local folders is eg: If you sent an email with an attachment too large for your providers SMTP
mailbox quota / size, it will normally get stuck in the outbox which you will then only see in “Local folders”.

So you would then delete it from the local folders outbox and then the trash folder & recompose.

I leave local folders allways enabled just for that reason incase an email gets stuck.

Note:- eM Client also has options now to enable sending very large attachments via cloud drives like Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive etc, if you also cannot reduce the attachment and need to send it as a one off at anytime.

Wouldn’t it get stuck in my account’s outbox?
I really can’t disable Local Folders because of not having any access to emclient’s Calendar, Tasks
and Contacts.
It’s just that the Folder List gets “busy” having Local Folders there.

@James5

Wouldn’t it get stuck in my account’s outbox?

Even IMAP and Exchange (non POP) type accounts like my eg: Gmail and Outlook IMAP accounts go through the local folder outbox at the bottom left of eM Client. If you send an email, you will see it in the local folder outbox until it’s gone and then disappear once sent. This happens every time you send emails from any type of account. The sent emails then appear shortly after in your account sent box.

So I keep Local folders enabled incase I need to sort out anything in the Outbox anytime.

I have no choice but to keep Local Folders enabled. Otherwise, I’d lose my calendar, tasks and contacts.

@James5

I have no choice but to keep Local Folders enabled. Otherwise, I’d lose my calendar, tasks and contacts

Yes that’s normal to keep Local folders enabled for POP Calendars and Contacts etc due to the nature of POP accounts as @Gary advised. I and other users also do that.

I must say I find emclient a very nice program.
Lots of customizations.
I’ve used it on and off for some time now, but I think I’m going to stick with it.