Just installed em6. Gmail account is blocking emclient access

Initial attempt to existing gmail account connect with new install of emclient (6). Repeatedly asks for credentials, eventually failing. Checking my gmail account, google is blocking logon - tells me I have to configure for less secure apps access.

Have been unable to find anything on recommendations or if there is some feature in emclient that resolves this.

No exactly a stellar first impression…

I’ve never seen that response from GMail, and I use it for three different accounts with eMC6.  First thing I might do is to check your settings in the account; the ones that work for me are:

IMAP:  Port 993, set security to “Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)”, server address of “imap.googlemail.com

SMTP:  Port 465, same security policy, server address is “smtp.googlemail.com

If you’re already working with those settings, it may not be an eMClient issue. Are you running behind a firewall?

No firewall issue - if I enable “use less secure apps” option on the Google Account, it works. If disabled - refuses credentials and Google sends a “blocking access from insecure client” message in my gmail inbox.

While my settings for SMTP were slightly different than yours, setting them up to match didn’t change the behavior.

emclient shows the following error information:

: Please log in via your web browser: http://support.google.com/mail/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=78754 (Failure)
[IMAP] An attempt to connect to faile. This could caused by a temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings.

The implication is to use the URL link to logon, which only works in Chrome, by the way…

The google page that comes up points to using the allow less secure apps access. Not my first choice…

I checked Google to see what this was about.I found some info at https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

It seems that Google is doing its usual routine and not allowing anything without a two-stage authentication process to access its email, but I have to say, I’ve never had this issue and I don’t know whether eMClient is one of the applications involved.

Anyone else have any input? Anyone from eMClient listening?

Hi Nigel, can you try to access this setting: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps , and set the option to enable and check if the issue persists?

Thank you,

Yes, that works, but that’s the point. Don’t want to reduce security to use a desktop email app. When will em client support OAuth2.0?

Hi Neil, unfortunately we don’t currently support OAuth authentication method which Gmail requires and identifies as the more secure option, we’re currently working on this feature and it should be included in an upcoming release of eM Client.

Thank you,

Hi Paul:  Yes, it does work if you enable the “less secure” button, but if you disable it, eMClient is not able to access gMail. 

I commented as I did because I’ve never had the issue that Neil raised, but when I went online to check my Google settings, I found that the “less secure” option was enabled, and that was why I hadn’t noticed anything.  I’ve been using EMC for over three years, and I suspect that what happened was that, when Google introduced their new requirements, they grandfathered the defaults of existing users at “enable” without saying anything. I’ve certainly never seen that option till now.

The clue may be in Neil’s first email, where he says this is a new installation of EMC.  His setting must have been set to “disable” to match GMail’s own online reader; it may be the first time he’s installed a non-google reader.  Neil, would that be right?

Hi Nigel,

That would be correct. I’m new to em client and the google account it’s being used with was only created in the last 2 months, so if grandfathering for existing google accounts is for “Enabled” for less secure apps, and “Disabled” for Google Accounts created since July 1 2014, then that would explain why I’m seeing this where long term google account users wouldn’t see the issue.

Hi again Nigel and Neil, I’m not completely sure when exactly did Gmail introduce this new setting, however it is not causing issues to all our existing google account users. As I noted in my previous post, we’re working on removing this inconvenience, by implementing OAuth into future releases of eM Client.

Thank you,

Glad to have helped solve this riddle; Neil, you should know that the developers at eMClient seem pretty responsive, and I’ve been happy using it for the last few years.  No connection other than a satisfied user - well, mostly satisfied!  There are a couple of things I’d like to see changed, but that’s for another time and place!

Paul, thanks for your input.

No problem Nigel, glad I could help. Please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,