It appears after activating eM Client that it has automatically archived all my Emails.

It appears after activating eM Client that it has automatically archived all my Emails which is a problem as I use several computers with different Email clients and now can’t access anything older than a week!! Is there anyway of reversing this? Regards Richard.

Hello Richard,

If you set the auto-archiving feature in eM Client, you can turn it off in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Auto archiving. You’ll find all your archived emails in the Archive folder.

Russel

Hi Russell, thanks for your reply. The thing is auto archiving was never activated and still isn’t and all emails are visible on em Client. It is on outlook and webmail with my service provider that emails only go back to the 22nd of March? This seems weird to me and I have assumed it was the fault of eM Client. The settings in auto archive were preset - enable/unticked, ask before archiving/ticked, archive every/7days & archive messages older than/21days. I haven’t altered anything. I used it for the trial period with no problems and it is only since registering and activating this problem has occurred. I have contacted my service provider as well but haven’t heard back as yet, Hope you can help. Regards Richard.

Hello Richard,

Activating the licence in eM Client should have no effect on this and if eM Client’s auto archiving feature is turned off, then I assume it’s a mail server related thing. Do you have an access to those archived emails?

Russel 

Hi Russell, apologies for late reply. I still haven’t heard back from my service provider in regard this problem.Hopefully they will reply soon to confirm one way or another! One thing I have noted though is I am only getting a weeks worth of Emails displayed both on Outlook & on the service providers web mail? This is continually dropping off the last day as time goes on.I have 2 email addresses that I monitor through eM Client and both of them are doing the same which makes me think it is something to do with eM Client? The second Email address is only a month old from being set up so hasn’t a lot of Emails on it. I have access to all Emails on both accounts on eM Client as if nothing has changed so I don’t need to access an archived folder etc!
It all seems very weird and has only happened after activating eM Client as I said before?
Regards Richard.

Hello again, it looks like the POP setting for both accounts was set at remove from server after 7 days!! by default!! Why is this a default setting??!! This needs to be off as a default setting! Why doesn’t it tell you that this is the how it is configured??  I am not very happy about this. Regards Richard.

Hello Richard,

The nature of POP3 protocol is to delete emails from the mail server right after they are downloaded by the mail client. The 7-day period is set as a protection. That’s why using POP3 protocol is a bit risky and we always recommend creating a regular in Menu > Tools > Settings > Backup

Russel

Hi Russell, thanks again for replying. I understand all this now but it shouldn’t have been set this way as a default!! If so it should at least tell you somewhere!!
Regards Richard.

Hi Richard,
Is this all true? I am thinking of trying eM Client, maybe I won’t. If I lost any of my work emails I would have problems. I was planning to use em client for my personal acct and I have outlook suite for work. Reflecting on your experience, would you recommend em client for my situation. I’m not extremely savvy when it comes to tech.

Hi Judith, yes! Just make sure when you set it up you go into your account settings and make sure the POP3 setting (remove from server after 7 days) is un-clicked! or change to IMAP to share & sync with other Email Clients! I am screwed now as all my older Emails are stuck on one computer which is highly inconvenient to me as I use 3 different computers at 3 different places with 3 different Email Clients! If I had known that this was a default setting all would have been fine! Still can’t see why they would allow this?? I have used a few Email clients over the years and none of them had this issue as a default setting.
Regards Richard.

Hello Richard,

As I said earlier, it’s the default nature of the POP3 protocol to download messages from the server and delete their server copy. It’s an obsolete protocol and this used to serve as a way how to keep mail server clean. 

If you wish to upload your emails on the server, you can for example move them to the Local folders, delete the account, reconfigure it as IMAP and move the emails back and wait until the change is synced. I’d anyways recommend creating a backup before deleting the account (Menu > File > Backup). Also, if you have more then one device where you use the same mail account, I wouldn’t recommend POP3 at all.

Russel