Issues with android beta

I am a very happy (and loyal) desktop emClient user. I was very happy to see the new Android beta and installed it on my Samsung S24 Ultra.

The app works well, but I ran into some issues:

• Performance - I want my inbox to show items from all time. when i select that option, looks like the app tries to download my entire mailbox. I had to select a lower period of time, but the right solution will be to enable select of period per folder. Also, it looks like the app does not do a delta sync, but instead, sync the entire period every time.
  • Folder selection - i could not find a way to select which folder (other than the default ones) to sync to my device and which to sync only when I explicitly ask for
  • QR code initialization - I used the QR code method to copy my setup from my mac to my android device. that was great, with one exception - only one of my search folders (i have around 20) was copied to my android
  • “Stuck message” - I have a message stuck in one of my accounts inbox and i cannot delete it. the message does not show any content and i cannot remove it. i tried repair, but did not work

Any pointers or suggestions for fixing are welcome.

Thanks

@gadinaveh

I would suggest you send this to [email protected]

The latest Android app works the same as the new eM Client V10 for desktop. If you select an eg: IMAP account to Sync “Anytime” that means all your messages from the beginning of your messages in all mail folders. I personally use that option as need to see all my email from all folders on the go.

If you don’t want that much mail synced in all the message folders / labels, then “just select a set interval sync period” via “Pressing the top left of the Android app” and then press "Settings / Accounts’. Then press on your account and select eg: “Services / IMAP / Sync Options / Message sync time period” as in the example screenshot below.

Note:- As V10 is still Beta, i found it did “initially take a little time to sync all my user created mail parent and sub label messages”, but eventually got there ok on my Samsung S22 Ultra with OS14, and using 3 x IMAP accounts with 100’s of labels and folders. It worked really fast once it was all cached. So all depends on the size of your cloud mailbox as to how long it takes.

(eM Client for Android V10 IMAP sync time Account Interval)

(eM Client for Desktop V10 Sync time IMAP Account period)

Also, it looks like the app does not do a delta sync, but instead, sync the entire period every time.

I don’t know what you mean by a “Delta Sync” ? Can you elaborate on that.

• Folder selection - i could not find a way to select which folder (other than the default ones) to sync to my device and which to sync only when I explicitly ask for.

Normally “like eM Client for desktop” if you have an eg: IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud account and you add the account on a mobile app, eM Client will sync all the folders "exactly the same on the mobile. Most people do want the entire mail folders synced and not just limited to only just syncing specific folders on the fly. That is normally the nature of these type of cloud accounts to sync all folders on all devices.

However using eM Client for desktop if you have an eg: IMAP account @Gary found a way to only sync certain IMAP folders. See the following post example. So if you only want to sync certain folders in the Android mobile app, then you could try doing the same.

• “Stuck message” - I have a message stuck in one of my accounts inbox and i cannot delete it. the message does not show any content and i cannot remove it. i tried repair, but did not work

Click at the top left of the Android app, and click “Edit” at the top right. Then enable the Outbox" and then “Save” and exit. The press the Outbox and either open the message and edit it and try sending again, or delete the message and create a new message. Might just be a eg: very large or over size attachment in the message or something like that causing the message to stick in your mobile outbox.

@cyberzork thanks for the response.

• mailbox sync - I have 1TB on the phone and a large mailbox. I did initially select “all time” and even after overnight sync subsequent syncs would take a long time (the phone complained it was performance heavy)
  • sync delta - get only what has not synced yet - relates to the previous one. imap supports getting only changes, but based on how long the sync notifications were showing, it did not seem it was using that option
  • stuck message - I should have been more clear. the message is stuck in my inbox and I m not trying to send it, but rather delete it. note, the message does not show in the desktop

hope that helps

• mailbox sync - I have 1TB on the phone and a large mailbox. I did initially select “all time” and even after overnight sync subsequent syncs would take a long time (the phone complained it was performance heavy)

How large is your actual cloud mailbox size that you are synching ?

• sync delta - get only what has not synced yet - relates to the previous one. imap supports getting only changes, but based on how long the sync notifications were showing, it did not seem it was using that option

Once your emails are fully synced locally in the mobile app, eM Client normally then “only syncs whats new” and “any new changes in the mail folders / labels” since the last sync like the desktop version.

stuck message - I should have been more clear. the message is stuck in my inbox and I m not trying to send it, but rather delete it

If its stuck in your inbox on the mobile app, Close the app and go online to your mailbox via webmail and delete it from there. Then reopen the app. If its not in your webmail inbox and only in the app inbox, i suspect you would have to remove and readd the account as there is no repair option in the app.

the gmail accounts - around 5gb each

the gmail accounts - around 5gb each

Oh ok my Gmail account mailbox is around 15 GB and seems to work fine all synced using the (All Time) option in the mob app V10.0.1150.

Took a few days initally to fully sync though. So you shouldnt have problems with a 5GB mailbox.

Maybe just gotta give it more time. Good luck.