My university seems to restrict people’s use of email to Exchange and Outlook. Previously, somehow eM Client was able to connect to the Exchange server, which couldn’t be done by any other email client.
But in the past several days, suddenly it doesn’t work anymore. I’m just wondering: has anything happened on the Exchange side that would result in eM Client not working anymore, and is that Anyway I can still use eM Client? I really don’t like Outlook.
Hi,
I am having similar issues. This is because Microsoft just retired Exchange (EWS) and replaced it with MS Graph". The migration was supposed to take place on the 1st of October, but it seems that the migration happened today as well at our university. eMClient has a dedicated page about that (Microsoft is retiring Exchange Web Services (EWS) | eM Client) and in principle eMClient v11 should be able to handle the change… But it is also not yet working for me So I am still trying to figure out…
Good luck to you!
Hi all, while Microsoft will slowly start disabling the EWS protocol for MS accounts from October 1st, it can also be disabled manually by the admin.
But if you can convince them it should also be possible to manually re-enable EWS for a limited time, as specified in the MS article:
Any tenant with EWSEnabled still set to Null on October 1, 2026, will see the value changed to False as the deployment rolls out. That will block EWS for all applications in the tenant at that time.
If you want to keep EWS blocked, you can simply leave it that way.
But if you still need to use EWS, you will have two choices:
Set EWSEnabled to True and maintain an AppID Allow List (via Baseline Security Mode or Exchange Online PowerShell).
Set EWSEnabled back to Null, which re-enables EWS without restrictions until the final deprecation occurs. This will have to be done using Exchange Online PowerShell.
We are trying to get eM Client 11 with MS Graph out as soon as possible, if you experience any issues with the BETA you can always reach out to [email protected] for help. Our devs are actively monitoring this address to address all issues.
I read the statement of eM Client, but I’m still a little bit confused.
Will a later program update solve this problem, or since EWS has been replaced, there is no way for eM Client to work with my university’s Exchange unless I get administrator approval?
In eM Client 11 we will offer automatic migration of EWS accounts to Graph API protocol - the more modern protocol that Microsoft now pushes as the preferred option. But it still connects to the Exchange server, just using different protocol (Graph API instead of “Exchange Web Services”- EWS protocol).
The link I posted was as a tip to make EWS work on specific servers right now, since eM Client 11 is unfortunately not officially out just yet.
It can either be installed as a BETA (Come test eM Client 11 BETA! | eM Client) but without the automatic migration (instead the account needs to be added manually in Menu>Accounts to use the Graph API) or you’d need to wait 1-2 weeks for the official release, it should be hopefully very soon now.