Is there a way to forward a meeting invite in Calendar view?

OK, this really frustrates me. The exact same scenario occurred twice today and I was forced to create new calendar invites just to get a couple of colleagues to a meeting. 

Scenario one:
Meeting was scheduled a couple of weeks ago at a client office. Shortly before the meeting I decided I wanted a colleague to attend. I wasn’t about to call the client and say, “Would you resend the calendar invite and include this particular person whom you’ve never met?”

No thank you. I just need to quickly forward the invite. In this use case it isn’t up to the client to determine who from my team needs to attend. It is up to me to make that decision. The client originally created the calendar invite because they called the meeting.

Scenario two:
I am interviewing development agencies to do a web project. We have an offsite meeting at the office of one of the potential agencies. They invited me and a colleague. At the time they created the calendar invite, a third collegue who I would have liked to attend was going to be out of town. Today, those plans changed. I need to be able to simple forward the existing calendar invite. The potential agency doesn’t care who comes, nor should I have to ask them to remake a calendar invite to add another of my staff. That’s ridiculous. 

So I created another calendar invite which meant I now have two on my calendar because of the silly way EM Client handles invites. 

This is really pretty frustrating. I’ve used a lot of email clients and this is the first I can remember that won’t simply let me forward a calendar invite. Crazy to say it is copying a Redmond application. Maybe Redmond got it right!

Yes, Redmond introduced this function in their Mail application, which was the predecessor to Outlook. Since then it has become accepted as correct etiquette and function. They redefined the roles making an attendee an organizer. Maybe some changes to their application could reflect this current incorrect understanding. Instead of inviting attendees, the organizer should appoint co-organizers. Then at least the function of each person will be correct.

But maybe this all came about with the invention of the photocopier, so it is not Redmond’s fault at all. I guess it became acceptable to whiteout your name on an invitation then make a dozen photocopies and pass them out at the office. Then it just became the norm to do the same thing with that email application when it came along, irrespective of who the original organizer actually wanted to attend the event.

You are completely missing the point. You are conflating dinner invitations with workflow in an organization. I really don’t care if this offends your sense of etiquette, this is a function that many of us use, and miss in this this application. This is the way we run our businesses, and as you yourself point out (“Since then it has become accepted as correct etiquette and function”) it has become the norm, whether you like it or not.

Back to the original question of this thread; no you can’t do this in eM Client. This thread was marked as answered 6 months back so you are completely wasting your time commenting further.

But there is a very simple solution Jeff if you want the functions of MS Outlook. You can have them quite easily by uninstalling eM Client and then installing MS Outlook. Do that then we don’t have to hear any more whining on this subject.

Is it the developers intent to suggest that in the two use cases I stated above, I should have done the following:

Scenario 1. Within 30 minutes of the meeting starting, just before I was leaving in the car to head to the clients office I should have called the client and said, “Hey, very sorry to bother you… I know you want me to bring as many of my team as possible, but would you please edit your calendar invite and include [email protected] from our other office? She will need the address and conference room number to go to when she arrives. I’m sorry to bother you. It’s just that proper etiquette is for me to call you to resend the calendar invite. Yes, everything is OK. We’ll see you soon.”

Scenario 2. Call the agency we are interviewing, not the other way around. It is up to me to determine who I want from my office to interview an agency to do work for us. But alas, Since that agency set up the meeting I should call them and say, “Hey, we have another resource from our office who will be participating in the discussion at our office. Yes, I know the meeting is at our office but proper etiquette is for me to call you and ask you to create a new calendar invite since you created the original one. Yes, everything is OK. Yes, I know this is totally not the process you experience with your other potential clients but we try to follow proper etiquette. Please just invite my other colleague to my meeting.”

In many ways I really appreciate the clean and minimalist aspects of EM Client. In many ways it is refreshing. Outlook can certainly feel bloated and it is commendable for Em Client to try to forge a new path. Sometimes there are features and functionality inherent to a product category that is just considered minimum viable product. In the email and calendaring space, for business use, mvp has got to include robust business meeting workflow. 

I commend you for the product you are developing here. I’d hate to move on to something else.

I really like this product. I believe it is the best I have ever seen. But, calendar forwarding is a fundamental function that needs to exists. It is part of every day business. Is this something that is in the product road map in the future? it is a basic business need.

Doubtful. It’s been discussed for a year now. This thread alone has been open for a year. 

I’m slowly giving up on this product. 

I Just installed and before I purchase for our company we would need this resolved. or at least have a response on future updates.

Hello,

If you mean forwarding of calendar invites, then this isn’t planned for the version 8 release. However, it’s an often-requested feature so we’ll definitely consider it as an option for one of the future updates.
In case you meant forwarding of calendars (calendar sharing), then this is implemented in all Exchange and IceWarp servers. On the CalDav servers, it depends on the actual server settings.

Russel

Yes. I mean forwarding Calendar invites. This is critical as this is a common business practice.

Just adding another request for this feature. I have been using eMclient for almost 2 years (purchased) and this basic functionality that is present in other email clients is missing here and definitely needed for business. I may need to request a refund for my recent upgrade as I did not realize this was not a capability and I really need an Outlook replacement. so far eMclient is really great otherwise.

1 Like

So yeah we are in 8.2.1473.0 and there is no way to forward a meeting invite in Calendar…

Re: adding someone else to a meeting.

Agree with @Gary that it’s “not normal” that invited peeps should be able to add someone else to the event. Should only be the event organiser.

I’ve worked in many large commercial companies where if you are invited to a meeting via an event and you want to add another peep, you always had to email or message the event organiser to do that as that was the proper protocol and the programs wouldn’t allow you to add other peeps.

Sometimes the event organisers wouldn’t want certain other peeps in the meeting due to eg: need to know basis or conflicts with other staff members, or conflicts of interest on projects etc.

So I think that’s why most programs restrict invited peeps from adding other peeps.

1 Like