Is there a way to auto-clear "unread" smart folder after a mail is read?

Any progress on this? It seems quite an obvious feature. How smart is the Unread smart folder if it shows the ones that have been marked read. Also, is there at least a keyboard shortcut to refresh the view?

1 Like

I can’t believe this still hasn’t been implemented. Such a basic missing feature. And no way to even manually refresh to clear read emails as a workaround without changing folders? It’s just a pain & I can’t believe this couldn’t be improved upon by the developers. What’s the issue?

Why is this just not possible? I’m curious…it’s so basic I find this hard to believe this is the case. Please explain further. Thanks

Could someone explain how I can make this basic ability a feature request please?

Many thanks…

Will this issue be sorted in a future release? It’s a very basic thing that read emails should automatically clear from the unread folder.

Could staff comment on this please.

To refresh the Unread folder, click on another folder, then come back to Unread.

Just adding a simple ‘refresh view’ button would solve this. It’s a pain in the a**e to have to navigate to, then away, then back to the unread folder so many times a day just to consolidate my unread emails. This is probably the most frequent thing I have to do each day…and this clumsy behaviour turns it into a real pain.

So, it’s been nearly 3 years from my question, no changes so far, even with version 8 :smiley:

1 Like

You will end up with no read messages, because as each is automatically marked as read, it disappears from the list.

Then the next one is selected automatically, marked as read and disappears, then the next one is selected automatically, marked as read and disappears, then the next one is selected automatically, marked as read and disappears,…

I can’t believe this still hasn’t been addressed in v9.

Surely once an email is read it should NOT appear in the ‘Unread’ items folder? Logically, once an item has been read it should be removed from the ‘Unread’ folder view.

The situation you describe would only occur if the software was badly designed, let me explain.

Upon opening EM Client you would see a number of unread emails in the ‘Unread’ folder. You would click on the first on the list to read it, bringing it into focus in the reading pane. The email is only marked ‘read’ AFTER reading pane focus is moved to the next unread email, and so on.

To be clear, only when reading pane focus is removed is the email then classified as ‘read’ and removed from the ‘Unread’ items list.

Again, I can’t understand why this hasn’t been implemented? As a lifetime license owner I hope one day (before I die) to see this minor change made…

1 Like

Right, this is missing.

I see this topic is still alive. No hope for such a basic feature, though. And I remember this feature was built-in in Opera Mail (M2) since the stone age and worked flawlessly…

1 Like

If you have messages set to be marked as read after say 5 seconds, you will end up in a cascade with the message being marked as read after 5 seconds and then removed, then the next one automatically being marked as read after 5 seconds and then removed and so on until there are no messages left. What a shock if you stepped away to receive a parcel and come back to find all your messages are read and nowhere to be found.

So we keep the read messages in display until you move to another folder. When you come back to the unread folder later, only unread messages will be displayed.

This remains my biggest annoyance with EM Client. Clicking into another folder then back again to ‘Unread’ is not the answer…this is just a permanent workaround, is messy and time consuming and ultimately is just lazy software design. Can you not understand that I have to do this 20-30 times a day (often more frequently)?

This thread also addresses the problem Refresh display of unread message list - #2 by cyberzork

So why not just implement an ‘Email Read’ or ‘Folder Refresh’ button to clear the ‘Unread’ folder of any read items? It’s so simple, yet for some reason EM Client refuse to do anything about this.

After many years of use EM Client remains my favourite email client, but this issue really drives me up the wall daily. I so wish they’d just get creative and do something about it, but I’m not holding my breath. After years of having to put up with this, and even though it’s be a simple fix, we seem to have hit an entrenched ‘no, we’re not doing that’. Absolutely pointless and baffling.

If the folder refreshes after each message is read, you will end up in a cascade with the message being marked as read after 5 seconds and then removed, then the next one automatically being marked as read after 5 seconds and then removed and so on until there are no messages left.

Therefore we purposely do not remove the read messages from view until you move away from the folder.

At the moment read items are not removed, they remain in the ‘Unread’ folder until another folder is clicked. So a solution to avoid having to click on another folder and then click back on the ‘Unread’ folder to continue where I left off is for a button which clears any read items in the 'Unread; folder, then refocuses on the first unread item in the list in the ‘Unread’ folder.

This is nothing to do with auto-refresh, it just gives me back control of what’s showing in the ‘Unread’ folder at any given time. For clarity, if I want to remove items I’ve read in the ‘Unread’ folder without having to move away from the folder then, by using this button to remove read items from the view, I can.

Gary, how about NOT removing the letter that is currently open from that list? Just as I said before, Opera Mail (M2) had this feature working since the beginning. And it’s been like 5 or more years since M2 is dead. Just auto-remove read letters from Unread folder and ignore active one. Not via 5 sec folder refresh, that is dumb, but by checking “read/unread” status for the letter once user switches from it

1 Like

I don’t know if I am experiencing the same issue that all of you are, but…

I always read my mail in “All Inboxes.” This assures that I am reading every email from all three of my connected accounts (GMAIL, ICLOUD and OUTLOOK)

However, for some reason, the mail I have already read and even replied to appears again in the UNREAD folder. Occasionally, I have to go into that folder to delete whatever is in there.

viernes 07 julio 2023 :: 1727hrs (UTC +0100)

You need to read this previous post by @Gary

EARLIER POST

skybat

¡Suerte!

¡Los mejores desde Reino Unido y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

No, that is something else. The previous post means that when you are in the Unread folder and you read a message, it is not automatically cleared away. What @NJRonbo is asking about is when he is in All Inboxes, the messages are not automatically cleared from Unread.

@NJRonbo’s issue may be so low level database corruption. He can try closing eM Client and opening a Windows Command Prompt. Not a powershell, but a command prompt.

Pasting in this command including the leading "

"C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe" /dbrepair

Then when that is done, restarting eM Client.

1 Like