Is AOL/Yahoo or eM Client causing connection issues?

Apologies in advance for a rather long post, but a very important one.

Configuration:
3 iOS devices using native Mail app
1 Windows (eM Client)
ISP: AOL (Yahoo)

Issue: About once or twice a week, eM Client will not connect to AOL and I get the red triangle/exclamation point next to the mailbox. I then try to use Mail on the iOS devices and they also give an connection error. If I close all mail apps just walk away from all the devices and return (in say 15 minutes) all is OK. Annoying because of Sod’s Law: only happens when I’m expecting an important message :slight_smile:

Background: 1. I had the same experience using Thunderbird which is one of the reasons I switched to eM Client. At first I had no issues, thought this issue was solved, but obviously it is not. 2. Recently I did not have access to my Windows/eM Client computer for about a month. During that time I only had the iOS devices and never had a problem.

I have always blamed AOL/Yahoo for this so I am considering switching to a different ISP. Perhaps it could it be that eM Client connects to the server in a way to gums up the works. When I was using Thunderbird someone on that forum blamed Apple and said they gum up the works.

So my question: Who is gumming up the works? AOL/Yahoo? eM Client? Perhaps there are different methods to opening connections to the servers that makes a difference?

I am willing to change providers (hate AOL) but it’s very important to know before going through the HUGE effort to do that, just to find out the issue was eM Client all along. (And I really want to keep eM Client!)

Thank you,

Joe

Based on what you said it sounds like your email provider is the issue (AOL/Yahoo). I would suggest looking for a higher quality email provider.

Thank you for the reply and I also conclude AOL/Yahoo is the issue. However, switching providers is not easy. Also I make it more difficult because I want to avoid Google, Microsoft, etc. as they are rather evil when it comes to privacy. Anyway, thanks again!

Here is one consideration if you want a good email provider that supports eM Client: Seamless email experience with eM Client and Imageway | eM Client

1 Like

jueves 01 junio 2023 :: 0738hrs (UTC +0100)

Do you want/need Free or Paid for email?
For Free - search with Google or Bing or DuckDuckGo for instance
For Paid for Internet Service Provider (ISP) provides an excellent service
competitively priced solution worldwide.
They are also easily contacted online, also with an immediate telephone
support & sales based in Glasgow UK
(I have no connection with them, however, they are highly recommended
by a large number of our clients in Banking, Insurance, Government,
Airlines etc,. They have been in business for about 25 years.

skybat

ÂĄBuena suerte!

ÂĄLos mejores desde Valencia la soleada y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemån
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

Hi,
I had the same problem and the guilty was the antivirus app (Avast). I hope that helps.

@Psiax

So my question: Who is gumming up the works? AOL/Yahoo? eM Client? Perhaps there are different methods to opening connections to the servers that makes a difference?

eM Client uses “the same standard connection authentication methods” as other modern mailers. eM Client has nothing to do with causing your connection to randomly not work.

As you get the same issue with Thunderbird and your iOS devices, then agree with @lancealot
and @skybat that it does sound like your mail provider is the problem Both AOL & Yahoo in the past definitely have had issues with many mail clients.

What can sometimes happen is eg: where mail servers can get overloaded & have not enough connections available at random times and you can then get mail clients not connecting as a result. So the mail server software needs to be updated to accommodate that. Lots of mail servers unfortunately “are not updated or maintained well enough” so the users suffer.

Random mail connection issues can also happen with Mail servers due to eg: saving money and “not buying enough bandwidth to cope” with the amount of users accessing the mailboxes etc.

So as long as you are running a recent version 8 or 9 of eM Client then there won’t be any eM Client related issues. eM Client was also updated a while ago to support the new Yahoo .API .

Apart from the mail client and mail server, the only other things that can sometimes cause random mail connection issues are optionally installed programs such as @Bnick says Antivirus programs.

Also optional Firewall / Security programs and VPNs can sometimes cause random connection issues. So if you have any optional programs installed like the above, try completely disabling those to test.

1 Like

Removed Avast Worked for me too. Thank you.

viernes 02 junio 2023 :: 1340hrs (UTC +0100)

Hey

To anyone who might be interested

Personally, there are no circumstances under which I would have Avast products on any of my computers , however, the choice is yours; though I do appreciate that for many ‘Free’ is an attraction, however, there is no such thing as free meal.

Avast doesn’t only cause problems with email!

In 2020 Avast was found to collect and sell Your Browsing History!

By default, Avast collects your web browsing activity and offers it to marketeers through their subsidiary named Jumpshot.
Companies who pay Avast/Jumpshot can view full “clickstream data” to see what Avast users are doing online.

The data collected is so granular that Jumpshot clients can view the individual clicks that Avast users are making on their browsing sessions, including the time right down to the millisecond.

The collected data is linked to a person’s name, email and or IP address. Each user history is assigned to an identifier called the device ID, which persists unless the user uninstalls the Avast antivirus product.

Not that I have anything to hide, I simply have very strong opinions about this sort of activity and why I take this stance about my personal computers and company systems.
Further that my company could not offer the security that we do to our government, banking, insurance and blue chip clients, and potentially lose their trust.

As an alternative Microsoft’s Windows Defender, which is integrated into all versions of Windows 10 and above, and of course is free. Microsoft’s antivirus doesn’t have an agenda beyond keeping antivirus off your computer.

It doesn’t track your web browsing!

I combine this with Malwarebytes
and
Mailwasher Pro world leading anti-spam software
and
Surfshark VPN

I/we have never had any virus etc problems plus eMC works perfectly for me on all my computers.

skybat

ÂĄBuena suerte!

ÂĄLos mejores desde Barcelona la soleada y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemån
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like