Invalid first reply

The last several days I’ve experienced frequent errors and am unable to send or receive e-mail though intermittently, some mail is successfully delivered.

I’m using eMClient version 6.0.24928.0

Here is a copy of recent log entries: 

9:05:59 AM [email protected] [GData]  Synchronizing folder list
9:05:59 AM [email protected] [POP3]  Connecting: To [email protected]
9:05:59 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
9:06:00 AM [email protected] [GData]  Synchronizing folder list
9:06:00 AM [email protected] [GData]  Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
9:06:00 AM   MailExceptions.Exception: Invalid first reply: 
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Pop3.Pop3ReceiveCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Pop3.Pop3ReceiveCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
9:06:00 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
9:06:00 AM ()
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
9:06:00 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

I will appreciate your assistance.

Thank you!

Hello,
the problem seems to be with your POP commspeed account.
Are you having trouble receiving messages for this account?
Is there any error message in the Tools>Operations>Error tab?

Regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia.  Thank you.  Yes, there are error messages in the Tools>Operations>Error tab.  The most recent one is: 
[email protected] Connecting to [email protected] failed.
[SMTP]  An attempt to connect to [email protected] failed.  This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?

When I check the settings they are fine.  Trying to “fix” the settings in the Diagnostic area does not fix the problem.

Thanks,

Greg

Hello Greg,
please try manually changin the Server policy in the SMTP tab in the Accounts window.
I suggest trying the (legacy) option which is usually more compatible with older server settings.

Regards,
Olivia

Thanks, Olivia.
The Server policy on the SMTP tab (as well as the POP tab) is already set to “Legacy” with a special port as specified by my ISP.  I have checked with the ISP multiple times and they indicate that all is well at their end.  I’ve also determined that the web mail version of their service is working fine.  I much prefer to use eM Client when it’s working.

Greg

Hello Greg,
can you try making exception for eM Client in your Windows firewall and antivirus software?

Regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia,

I’ve made an exception in both my anti-virus and windows firewall.  Still seem to be having the problem.