Instant Mark as Read?

Well this is a bad design decision I think and I do not understand why you could not give users at least an “Option” for instant “Mark as read” when messages are clicked on and opened in new windows. Can you name me one other e mail client that does not have the ability to “Mark as read” instantly? And am I to understand that if you did make this change it would take weeks and weeks programming? I am not a programmer but I just don’t understand why such a small change like this would be such a big programming job? I mean you already have “Mark as read” working for when you forward unread messages. So couldn’t you just use that same coding for when opening messages also?

I love your product I really do it’s just a real bummer that I can not have a very common feature working the way it was meant to work in eM Client. Well I guess no matter how many user complain about this I guess it is not ever going to change.

Very disappointing this is! :frowning:

This whole conversation has gotten ridiculous. Jan/emClient folks are convinced there isn’t a problem. In my opinion they have yet to understand the issue – if they did I can’t imagine anyone being able to believe there isn’t a problem and the design is correct. Believe it or not there IS a reason outlook and others implemented mark as read they way they have – and it is NOT the way emClient did.

This isn’t an issue of only ‘spam’. There are NUMEROUS companies that use email systems that support open-timers. To assume only spam does that is incorrect and arrogant. We can debate all day long if companies should or shouldn’t use open-timer features of enterprise email platforms – but the fact is they do and it breaks your implementation of mark as read. It really is that simple. Your product is very broken in this regard. Again, if you are unfamiliar with open-timers, email platforms that support it include an image in all their emails and their content server holds the connection open when that image is requested and logs the amount of time that connection stays open. We are not talking about just spam. Numerous very large companies who spend large $ on email platforms use this feature. To marketers, having a metric of how long their communications are actually on-screen and assumed being read is very valuable, so I highly doubt you will see this go away any time soon. Now that is just talking about open-timers. Add to it any emails with images on a slow or overloaded servers and you have a good % of emails that will make emClient’s mark as read functionality feel broken.

It’s so frustrating opening messages only to have them shown as “unread” all the time. And I am really shocked that the eM Client developers think this is a good design decision.

I understand your point of view, but for example if you would see only half of some photo - you would knew what is there, but you would not saw it all - would you count it as “seen” ?

eM Client has some design and we can’t change it every once a while, majority of users are ok with it and it works so there is really not reason to alter this.

Jan

"but for example if you would see only half of some photo - you would knew what is there, but you would not saw it all - would you count it as “seen” ? "

When it is a 1x1 pixel transparent image that never finishes loading by design it is a tracking/open timer image. THAT is an issue you have yet to acknowledge. It not only exists but is very common in email marketing. So a large % of newsletters, ads, or other mass delivered emails will feel very broken when all the real content IS done and visible but emClient is still ‘loading’ the tracking image and will not mark it as read.

Second point which is beyond tracking/timer images, many people myself included have a very specific workflow for reading emails. I scan the unread for items of interest and I am clicking each quickly as I scan. 50% or so I have no intention of doing anything but clicking on it and immediately to the next to mark them as read. I wonder how many others, less vocal than myself, tried emClient found it annoying and just went back to outlook or whatever they used previously? Based on being in software for the last 20 years I would bet less than 10% of people would bother communicating an issue. When there are a dozen options, why bother?

John,

If I click on or open a message to me that means 100% that I viewed the message.If part of a photo is not showing in a message big deal! That still does not mean i did not view the message.Besides 99.9 % of the time these messages with the not “Marked as read” issue are fully showing the photos in the message anyway.They are downloaded enough to see the whole photo. eM Client is the only e mail program that does not mark these kind of message as marked as read instantly and I will never understand why it was designed like this in the first place, Also how do you really know most users like it this way? Did you actually hear from all these users saying not to change it?

Can we start a poll here to see who wants this changed?

I am really trying to be nice hear so I hope you don’t take all my complaining to heart :slight_smile: I and others just really really want this changed!

Heck I want this changed so bad I would be willing to pay you some extra money if that would help.

Please make this change!

If we’re voting, then yes, I’m in favor of the change. But there are other changes that are higher priority to me.

For example: I would like to have multiple windows or instances of eM running simultaneously, so I could have mail and calendar windows open at the same time.

I would also like to have rules processed on all newly downloaded messages, not just unread new messages.

And one other major inconvenience: em not shutting itself down gracefully when I forget to close it prior to shutting off my computer. em should take care of that automatically.

There are other forum topics on these issues, which continue to be unresolved.

Hi, you can make feature requests about these features so other users can +1 it and we will see how much it is required.

But that request about rules is technically not possible, there is no other way how to realize that email has been processed than information about unread status.

Jan

yes, you can make feature request of course, but now it really works as designed.

Jan

So I guess there is no hope at all for this ever being fixed/changed!

I am so mad that I bought 3 lifetime license keys. I should of just stayed with Windows Live Mail or Thunder Bird!

I will never understand why the eM Client developers thought it was a good idea to not mark all kinds of messages as read instantly as soon as they are opened or clicked on. It just does not make any sense!

So Sad :frowning:

I have messages that look fully downloaded pictures and all and yet they take as long as a minute sometimes more after reading the whole message for it to finally to be marked as read. in fact most of these messages are never even marked as read because I need to keep them open or clicked on for longer then it takes to read the message.

This is just not the way it should be at all.

The em client guys don’t seem to understand the issue. I’ve repeatedly attempted to explain why it happens and why it is common. The only response is “it works as designed”. My response… Then the design sucks, fix it. I moved back to outlook. Lickily I hadn’t bought emclient yet. Outlook isn’t perfect, but this issue to me is a massive annoyance. Too big to ignore when I have other options.