Installation with database at another location

Hi,
I am looking for a way to give em-Client a different path for the database during installation. Is there a possibility to redirect the database path during the installation to e.g. X:\Mail?

If it is just a one-off, probably easier just to change the setting after install.

When eM Client opens, cancel any setup windows and go to Menu > Settings > General > Storage.
Select the new location.
Restart eM Client.

Thanks Gary, but this is not an option - Ive to setup 12 computers with 10 Users for each PC. Every User should work in his own workspace and at his own DB for emClient. Does anyone know if its possible to run the setup-program with a parameter like /dblocation PATH?

If you add the registry key “DBLocation” into Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\eM Client, it will create the database in the that location during install.

Hi Gary, thanks for this tip, I’m going to try it…but not today…

No, that was not the solution. Before the user starts eM Client for the first time there is no registry key “eM Client”.
The thing I need works only if the root path for the DB is changed, i.e. every user logging into eM Client must be automatically redirected to the directory “X:\Mail”. With the call Mailclient.exe /dblocation (which has the same effect as the registry entry) it does not work, you would have to install a corresponding call on each computer with each user account.

You can add the registry entry before eM Client is installed.

Gary, sounds good - if it will not be overwritten by eM-Client. I’ll test it.

The entry will only be overwritten if you manually change the location in Menu > Settings > General > Storage.

Just make sure that X:\Mail is available, otherwise eM Client will not start.

You also might want to consider that one reason that eM Client purposely hides the database away in %appdata% by default, is so that the folder is not easily accessible to users. You really don’t want users to be changing anything in that folder.

Another thing to consider is that if this is a network share, it might affect application performance. And if the user logs on to more than one computer, they will not be able to use eM Client simultaneously on multiple computers accessing the same database.

Gary, thank you very much for your info, I am aware of the problems with the DB on the server but I don’t see any other option.
Inserting the registry key is unfortunately not really an option, because then I still have to change the registry for each user on each computer. I think it will be better to anchor an eM client call with parameters in the autostart folder.