Inline pictures displayed "to fit" in

I’ve seen some complaints about this here on the forum but, perhaps as a feature request, it might gain more traction.

When one inserts an inline photo that one intends to remain in its original size, the photo tends to be so large that it can’t be viewed in its entirety. I know about the “Ctrl-+/-” to resize the entire email including text but that’s a kludge as the text is so small it’s unreadable.

What eM Client needs is a checkbox in its settings that automatically displays all inserted photos in whatever size is correct for the size of the displayed space in the eMail (ie, whatever width is available in the outgoing message is the width of the displayed photo). However, the originally sized photo – the default size selected in the settings is what should be sent with the outgoing message.

Likewise, when an eMail is received with a large photo, it should be displayed so that its width will fit in the available space of the reading panel. Currently, one can’t see the entirely of the large photo unless one uses the “Ctrl-+/-” kludge.

I’ve not seen any other modern eMail client behave in the fashion eM Client does in this specific situation. A large photo I send from eM Client arrives in my wife’s Mac Mail app in the original size but is displayed at whatever size is required in order to keep the width of the photo within the width of the reading panel/window.

You can set “by default” (when composing an email in eM Client (Settings) whether you want the inline pasted image to be eg: Small, Medium, Large or Original Size or Custom via the below settings.

In my example below i set my default paste inline image size to be “Large” which works fine for me. There is also the option to “Automatically resize large images” as well.

When the recipient then receives the image, it will be “exactly the same size” & “fit in their email window”.

See example below of a large size inline image by default sent from eM Client and received in my Outlook (Live) email web account.

You concentrated on the wrong part of the paragraph.

When one inserts an inline photo that one intends to remain in its original size, the photo tends to be so large that it can’t be viewed in its entirety. I know about the “Ctrl-+/-” to resize the entire email including text but that’s a kludge as the text is so small it’s unreadable.

Your suggestion resizes the original photo in the outgoing eMail which is not the desired result (and, by “resizes” I mean it actually alters the original photo, not “just for outgoing email display purposes”).

Apple Mail, Thunderbird, and every other eMail client I’ve tried successfully displays the original photo at the smaller “to fit the available window space” size while maintaining the original size in the outgoing eMail. When received in eM Client, a large photo won’t fit in the window. Heck, even my Android phone properly resizes the incoming image of that eMail.

So, in summation: eM Client is exhibiting non-standard behavior. While it may be behaving properly from a programming point of view (as in “it’s not a bug”), it’s a face-palming design mistake. I’d be laughing if I wasn’t a paying customer.

Apparently, when one inserts a picture as a “file”, the picture shows up as an attachment but does not display at all within the body of the eMail. However, when it is received (even in eM Client), the picture is displayed smaller so that it fits within the window; there’s even a little “double-arrow” button in the upper left of the picture which, as you would expect, expands the picture to full size and contract it back. (That button doesn’t appear in my Android mail app nor my wife’s Apple Mail so I suspect it’s only an eM Client thing.)

So eM Client’s programmers know how to fix this design problem.

Just in case it needs restating: Images inserted at original size should be displayed in both the outgoing and incoming eMails at a size “to fit the width” of the window. The original size of the sent image should be maintained in terms of LxW and KB.

Just discovered that the Sent message (the one that appears in the “Sent” folder) actually -does- display the image in the proper “fit to window width” when the image is attached as a file (just like the received eMail). All the eM Client programmers need to so is make it appear in the same fashion in the not-yet-sent outgoing eMail window.

The alternate behavior (with the inserted image displaying at full size in both outgoing and incoming eMail) is, frankly, mystifying. I can’t think of a situation where such behavior would be desired.

Your suggestion resizes the original photo in the outgoing eMail which is not the desired result (and, by “resizes” I mean it actually alters the original photo, not “just for outgoing email display purposes”).

You can set the default inline pasted image then to “Original” as I mentioned already “which then doesn’t change” the original image size.

Please re-read my messages. The problem is that leaving the image as the “Original” size (if it is larger than what would fit in a window width) reproduces that problem in the outgoing eMail and the same eMail once it lands in the Sent folder.

Try my suggestion for inserting a FILE (and select the original, large photo). No preview appears in the outgoing eMail (which is a design flaw in the app) but it -does- appear once it arrives in the Sent folder. In this case, the image will resize ON-SCREEN but this is only a display resizing and leaves the original size of the image as is.

When you attach a picture file “its not supposed to appear inline” and “is not a design flaw”. Every email client i’ve ever used works the same way.

If you want an image to show in the email body when composing an email, you have to paste it in.

Actually, when you “insert” a picture file, it appears inline. Pasteing it in also makes it appear inline. (Same result either way in eM Client as well as others but some other eMail clients will resize automatically (like Windows Mail). Note that I’m referring to the display of the inserted picture in the outgoining eMail; the picture -appears- to be smaller so it fits into the width of the window but the original size picture is really what is being attached to /inserted into the outgoing eMail.

You are claiming you have to paste the picture in; you are not looking at the contextual menu that appears in eM Client when you right-click in the outgoing eMail. Inserting an image is the same thing as pasteing.

Inserting a FILE, on the other hand, results in a flag that shows an attachment exists (and its size) but it doesn’t show in the outgoing eMail. It will, however, display the picture in the correct “scaled” size in the SENT eMail even though the attachment is the full size. Why does it not appear in the outgoing eMail when it does in the Sent eMail and, in fact, in the recv’d eMail (in the Inbox)? (That’s a rhetorical question as your previous answers misinterpreted my questions.)