Information in message list

In the message list, when using the layout with Message details on the right, it seems like a pretty static set of informations in the Message list.

I have configured the Columns configuration to include the Account, but it is not displayed (see attachment).

It would be nice to have some kind of layout design for each item shown in the list.

Hello Benny,

You are currently viewing messages in the compact view that only gives you the overview of basic information in order to save space. If you view your messages on the bottom (Menu -> View ->Layout -> Messages on the Bottom), they will be viewed in the single-line view, where the columns are fully customizable because of the space available. If you prefer the single-line view, you can choose the option of using it at all times in Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> Mail -> Read _- Message Lis_t.

Regards,
Maurice

Sorry for answering late - the reply notification ended in a spam filter.

I am aware of that functionality, but I don’t want to have the message view in bottom.

Using the single line view makes the view clumpsy.

Seeing which account an email is received on is basic information as soon as you have more than one mail account used in the system.

As I see it, you have some space available to the right of the sender information in the list above.

What about implementing a layout designer for the compact view? Or allowing nested grouping and let the account be one of the grouping options?

Hello Benny,

What exactly makes you think the single line view is too clumsy? If you right click the column’s categories to see the ‘Columns configuration…’, you can choose what columns to display and any of them can serve as a grouping option (if you have the ‘Show messages in groups’ option enabled in Menu ->Tools -> Settings -> Mail -> Read - Message List), recipient’s address included.
If viewing messages on the bottom doesn’t work for you, how about viewing them on the right while also using the single line view? You can access this setting at Menu ->Tools -> Settings -> Mail -> Read - Message List - 'Always use compact layout.

If knowing what account is a message received on is an important criteria for you, you could also set a rule based on the recipient’s address which would assign different colored categories to different addresses. The colors of the categories are displayed even in the compact view.

Hopefully you can find a solution that works for you.

Regards,
Maurice

Clumsy like in very little information visible. See attacment

What I noticed is that excluding/including some special columns is respected in the Compact view layout (flags, icon etc). But Account is not - and that is what I complain about. I would not mind the Compact view to be a little higher to make space for the Account information - perhaps possible to activate through a setting.

I already have a lot of colored categories, so that would not be an option. 

Hello Benny,

Thanks for explaining. In the compact view, you can also choose what column you’d like to have the e-mails sorted by, even if it is not visible. If you have the ‘Account’ column turned on, you can choose this as a sorting criteria:

Is this perhaps what you meant?

Regards,
Maurice

No, I want it sorted by Received. I will lose that by sorting by Account.

Perhaps sorting by multiple fields? Like first Received and then by Account.

Hello Benny,

If the messages are sorted by Account, they are displayed from the oldest ones to the newest ones. Since the compact view is meant to be a simple tool for quick overview, its possibilities are limited. We’re sorry if it doesn’t work for you.

Regards,
Maurice

Well, trying to sort by account caused eMClient to crash…

Hello Benny,

Sorry to hear about this. Could you please send us a screenshot of the error? Also, please go to Menu -> Tools -> Operations, open the third tab titled ‘Log’ and copy its content here (for fast copying, pressing Ctrl+A will select everything).

Thank you,
Maurice

Sorting the unread folder by account makes a view that I can live with. And actually, they are shown from the newest to the oldest:

I submitted an error report right after the crash… Suspect it to be related to the amount of mails (24000+ mails)

Hello Benny,

Glad to hear that this works for you. Thank you for submitting the report. When it comes to how the messages are ordered, it depends on the option selected in Menu ->Tools -> Settings ->Mail -> Read - Message List  - ‘Set default date sort order:’ ‘New messages on top’/‘New messages on bottom’.

Regards,
Maurice