Incorrect Update Versions - Requiring Upgrade

Very annoyed.

Have had to downgrade a PC to W10 - reinstalled EM Client and I have a V9 Pro Licence.

I was unaware there is now a V10 out, so after downloading what I thought was V9, it said I had a trial for 30 days and updated my database regardless! So after removing what I thought was V10 as I don’t need it, it refused to install. Downloaded the MS windows tool to remove it from advice on this forum - success.

However when I located an older V9, I installed that version which then failed because it now said a newer version of the programme had updated the database - and I had to pay to upgrade to the new version or quit basically!

So reluctantly I had to remove the databases and eMClient yet again. Now I reinstall V9 again from my local file and start to add an email account when it tells me there’s an update - this is the damned annoying bit: it says the update is 9.2.2258 (7080479) - so I ASSUMED this meant it was still V9 for which I have a licence for so thought it was a normal V9 update and went ahead.

WRONG! It is a version requiring a paid upgrade! Why??? If it’s version 10 why don’t you name the bloody thing V10 so we can all stop installing incorrect versions and wasting hours of my life on unnecessary work? Surely it doesn’t need a PhD to work that one out?

So now I’ve got to bugger about and uninstall yet again, delete the databases and reinstall or will have to pay up again for features I don’t want. In either case I will have wasted more hours installing all my accounts for the fourth time.

No, it doesn’t require an advanced degree. We give the version numbers clearly, so there isn’t any confusion.

1. If you download the install files manually, they are conveniently named with the version so there is no misunderstanding. So something like emclient-v10.0.3266.msi. We name the setup files with the version so you don’t get confused about what you are installing, unlike some apps who just call the file setup.msi.

2. If you are using the update from within eM Client itself, the version number is also clearly displayed there.

1 Like