Importing messages into eM Client message store folder

I’m a new user trialing eM Client and still trying to set this up properly on my PC with Win10 operating system.

I am having trouble importing my messages from my existing email client store folder into the eM Client store folder.

FYI - My messages are not stored on the server, they are in a store folder on my computer and my current email program points to that store folder. I don’t sync from the server to my computer.

I’ve tried copying and pasting - messages appear to copy over into the store folder but are not visible when I open eM Client.

I’ve tried clicking on Menu > File > Import > Email (.eml) etc… but again my messages don’t move over.

I must be doing something wrong but can’t figure out what that is.

Please help.

You did not say what the other email client is.

I’m using Outlook Express which is the old WIN XP version reconfigured to work on newer versions of windows.  Was available on a site called runasxp.com

In eM Client, go to Menu > File > Import > Microsoft Outlook Express.

Thanks for that.  It went through the process, a window appeared with a counter that said it completed transferring all the emails.  I then checked - all the various folders were there but they were empty; could not see any of the specific emails.

These folders should have been created in Local Folders, unless you changed the destination. If Local Folders are not visible, go to Menu > Tools > Settings > General and select to show local folders.

If that still does not show anything, try the import again, but select just one folder to import and see if that changes anything.

I am having the same problem.  When I try to import a folder it only gives me the option of - Inbox, Sent Mail, Deleted Items, Drafts, Junkmail.  What I need to import are the folders (about 30 of them) where I have all of my messages saved.  Is this possible and if so, how do I find them to select one as a trial.  I am using Incredimail and importing to MailClient.

I believe the Incredimail import is something new to version 8. If you are having issues with the beta, please send feedback to [email protected]

Thank you, I will try that.  Glad it is  not something I am missing.

These folders should have been created in Local Folders, unless you changed the destination. If Local Folders are not visible, go to Menu > Tools > Settings > General and select to show local folders.

If that still does not show anything, try the import again, but select just one folder to import and see if that changes anything.

This is doing my head in; it should not be this difficult.  I must have done something wrong, or incorrectly, or in the wrong order.

The Local Folders are visible.  There is only one email store folder where all my emails are stored.  The emails are filed in various folders created within the email client (or branches if that makes more sense); so nothing unusual.

I’m going to uninstall the program, reinstall it, and start again.  I don’t want to use the eMClient store folder from its default location.  I want to point it to where I keep all my docs and where my current email store folder resides so all my files are in one place for easy access and back up…Can you think of anything I should know or do or not do to ensure this works without further issue?

eM Client cannot share it’s database folder with another application. That is not possible.

eM Client has it’s own backup function. Using an external backup usually results in empty SQL files.

I don’t want to share it.  I just want it to reside in another location.

So what you need to do is close eM Client and move the existing message store (C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client) to the desired location. Then start eM Client again and cancel any setup options. Go to Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Storage and point to the location where you just moved the database.

Restart eM Client.

Please note that it is better to run the database from your SSD rather than moving it to a mechanical hard disk, or a network share.

So do I copy that specific “eM Client” folder and paste it where I want it?  Or just place a new folder where I want it and point to that location as the new storage folder?

Depends if you want to keep your existing settings and data. If you do, move that specific folder with eM Client closed etc. If you just want to start again with an empty database, no need to move the existing folder, just set a new location in the Storage setting. Then restart eM Client.

Would you please advise how I uninstall this software so every bit of it plus my settings are remove. Just uninstalling through control panel is not enough.

I’ve uninstalled and re-installed and it retained the location of my old store folder, the file import that didn’t work properly plus other settings including my email account settings.

When you uninstall eM Client, you are asked if you want to delete the database folder. Selecting YES will remove any data and settings from the current installation. This is irreversible.

The location of the database is a default, so that will always be reset to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ after deleting the settings.

I’ve done this twice now, selecting YES to remove the database but it continues to remember the location of the data base previously selected, and has that as the default database location  -  C:\Users"username"\Desktop\Doxs\Email\eMclient Messages

After installing and starting the application, go to Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Storage and change the location to one you prefer. Then restart eM Client.

So selecting YES doesn’t remove all the data and settings as it’s supposed to?  Is that not a problem?