IMAP support seems to be very weak (courier-map server)

IMAP support seems to be very weak

Synchronization fails because eM Client doesn’t seems to be able to parse courier-imap answers … while even outlook manage so …

To bad this client sounded promising with it quite good iCloud support …

* 126 FETCH (UID 67523 RFC822.SIZE 43785 FLAGS () INTERNALDATE “27-Oct-2013 22:46:16 +0100” BODYSTRUCTURE (“text” “html” (“charset” “utf-8”) NIL NIL “quoted-printable” 41574 665 NIL NIL NIL) ENVELOPE (“27 Oct 2013 21:46:10 -0000” "=?UTF-8?Q?P* BYE [ALERT] Fatal error: Invalid argument
Exception:
Parse error
Line * 126 FETCH (UID 67523 RFC822.SIZE 43785 FLAGS () INTERNALDATE “27-Oct-2013 22:46:16 +0100” BODYSTRUCTURE (“text” “html” (“charset” “utf-8”) NIL NIL “quoted-printable” 41574 665 NIL NIL NIL) ENVELOPE (“27 Oct 2013 21:46:10 -0000” "=?UTF-8?Q?P* BYE [ALERT] Fatal error: Invalid argument
Greetings * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN ACL ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2011 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.
Parse error here -argument
Parse error here -argument

Update:

I’ve just tried the beta 6.

Small change: message 126 is now able to be parsed, but it chockes on the next one …
Oh well the IMAP support is really crappy !

And by the way I’ve though version 6 will support IMAP folder subscriptions :frowning: ?
Rather than that we have some crappy Windows 8 borderless crap …

* 126 FETCH (UID 67523 RFC822.SIZE 43785 FLAGS (\Seen) INTERNALDATE “27-Oct-2013 22:46:16 +0100” BODYSTRUCTURE (“text” “html” (“charset” “utf-8”) NIL NIL “quoted-printable” 41574 665 NIL NIL NIL) ENVELOPE (“27 Oct 2013 21:46:10 -0000” “=?UTF-8?Q?Plus_beaux_paysages_naturels_de_France,_26_lieux_hant?= =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A9s,_Quiz_:_peintures_et_mus=C3=A9es,_Quiz_:_les_fleu?= =?UTF-8?Q?ves_de_France,_Tour_Paris_13?=” ((“L’Internaute - Week-End” NIL “actu” “b.linternaute.com”)) ((“L’Internaute - Week-End” NIL “actu” “b.linternaute.com”)) ((NIL NIL “webmaster” “linternaute.com”)) ((NIL NIL “fil” “cessfil.net”)) NIL NIL NIL “”) BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (“importance” “x-priority” “references”)] {2}
* 127 FETCH (UID 67526 RFC822.SIZE 118130 FLAGS (\Seen) INTERNALDATE “27-Oct-2013 23:44:10 +0100” BODYSTRUCTURE (“text” “html” (“charset” “utf-8”) NIL NIL “quoted-printable” 115877 1780 NIL NIL NIL) ENVELOPE (“27 Oct 2013 22:44:04 -0000” “=?UTF-8?Q?Payer_moins_d’imp=C3=B4ts,_Nouveau_si=C3=A8ge_d’Apple,_Qu?= =?UTF-8?Q?iz_mots_r=C3=A9els_ou_invent=C3=A9s,_Enfant_rom_bulgare,_?= =?UTF-8?Q?P=C3=A8re_de_Zohra_Dati,_Zapping_TV,_Xbox_One?=” ((“L’Internaute - Magazine” NIL “actu” “b.linternaute.com”)) ((“L’Internaute - Magazine” NIL “actu” “b.linternaute.com”)) ((NIL NIL “webmaster” “linternaute.com”)) ((NIL NIL “fil” * BYE [ALERT] Fatal error: Invalid argument

Hi,

thank you for reporting this. Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with any solution because the problem REALLY does not lie on our side. It is a bug on your server so please contact your mail server administrator and report the problem. 

Nice try.

It might be a quirk of courier-imap but nevertheless it works perfectly with thunderbird or even outlook.

So please don’t give me this “contact your mail server administrator” answer :@ !

BTW I’m the mentioned mail server admin and the courier-imap version I use is the lastest official version from ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hello,

We have tested this many times and log you have sent shows that it is definitely server side issue.
we have no reason to lie about this as we alone want eM Client to be perfect.

with regards
Jan

So WHY it is perfectly working right now with Thunderbird or Outlook and failing miserably with eM Client …
Come on …

BTW

I’ve just tested my current Mailbox without any problems on: Thunderbird, outlook 2010, outook 2013, Apple Mail, iOS Mail, and Roundcube.

And its fail with eM Client … Server side ? right …

The issue is definitely server side. In the middle of a normal response the server returns “* BYE [ALERT] Fatal error: Invalid argument”. Other clients may not trigger the same behavior, but the fault is still definitely at the server’s end.

Yeah yeah and the fact it works perfectly with 6 other IMAP clients doesn’t tell you that might been something wrong in your code right ?

It could be a courier-imap quirk gracefully handled by the other IMAP client ? I don’t know and honestly I don’t really care.

eM Client just fails where all the other clients works that all what I see.

BTW I’ve just tried with mutt it works too … Then it is 7 clients that works well …

But yeah you know, just keep the good atitude don’t try to fix your thing because it is the server fault.

I realize this link is several years old however please read thru - http://www.mail-archive.com/courier-i…

Perhaps some other items are altering the emails not Courier or eM Client. Without the email source/header information it is impossible to determine which piece of software is at fault.