IMAP folders not 100% synched

I replied to a warning - “Do not use this for imap”, but I’m not sure if anyone actually reads it, so I’ll start a new topic.

The main problem is that eM Client doesn’t show all messages in IMAP-folders.
My sent folder has 1196 emails which I can see in Thunderbird and my webmail, but eM only shows 344.

I thought this might have to do with importing accounts from Outlook, so I created a new account, and suddenly the SENT-folder was in sync with reality. I checked through each and every folder, and now only one folder is out of sync.

I have messages from 2007 in this folder, a total of 254. Out of these only 49 are shown in eM.

There seems to be a cut from 2009-06-23 – 2010-05-06 where all messages are hidden. Between that date and now also some random messages seems to be hidden.

Full IMAP-support is incredibly important to me, and if the hidden messages don’t show up by making some settings or something, I can’t use this otherwise fantastic product.

I’d appreciate any support to make it work.

Thank you in advance!

Hi,
we are sorry to hear that. We’re currently trying to identify the problem. We would appreciate if you can provide us more detailed IMAP logs. You can do it by following the instruction:

1. Create directory “C:\Temp”
  2. Download the MailClient.exe.config.zip file from www.emclient.com/tools/imaptrace/Mail… and extract it into eM Client directory (“C:\Program Files\eM Client” or “C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client” depending on your system)
  3. Run eM Client and try to reproduce the issue. It will create the log file in C:\Temp\MailClientTrace.log .

Please send us the the log file to [email protected] . All your privacy will be preserved.

Regards

Hi Nicolas,

thanks for the log you sent us. The server supports the CONDSTORE IMAP extension, which allows us to synchronize only changes that happened since last synchronization, as opposed to doing full-folder synchronization. Apparently somewhere along the line the synchronization broke and unfortunately it’s hard to find out how that happened even with the log at hand. eM Client thinks the folder is in sync (based on the “HIGHESTMODSEQ 18” line in the log, which specifies the synchronization anchor), while some older messages were not, in fact, synchronized. We will attempt to reproduce the problem on one of our test servers, but currently the only option to fix the problem is to let eM Client resynchronize the whole IMAP account by deleting and recreating it.

Best regards,
Filip Navara

Hi and thanks a lot for the thorough investigation. I will try and delete it all and recreate it, but that’s practically what I did the first time I got all folders but one synced.

Is the CONDSTORE somehow affected by other clients synching the folders? Since I’m also trying Thunderbird, Outlook 2003 and a Webmail-client (Rackspace).

How does the search feature work? Does it search on local folder copies or on the IMAP-server? Cause I tried to find a letter that was hidden, and it didn’t work. So it seemed that the search was local…

Thanks!

On the delete/create of the account, all 254 messages in that specific folder is now found. Although I haven’t gone through all of them, but let’s hope it works! :slight_smile:

The CONDSTORE shouldn’t be affected by other clients unless there is a bug in the server. Since the support for the extension is not widespread there may be bugs both in server and client software (including in eM Client).

The search works on the local copies only. It is possible to set the client to download all messages for offline use (with additional option to not download attachments).