IMAP error Unable to create folder on the server. ([ALREADYEXISTS] Duplicate folder name (Failure))

When starting eM Client the following error is displayed.

[IMAP]  MailExceptions.OperationException: Unable to create folder “[email protected]/Trash/” on the server. ([ALREADYEXISTS] Duplicate folder name (Failure))

I am using version 6.0.20648.0 of the client on Windows 7 Professional. The client seems to function normally, but the error is persistent.

In searching the forums I found another post with this same error. The response was to post the logs from the client here, so here is an excerpt from the log if helpful.

8:19:10 AM Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability 8:19:11 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
8:19:11 AM [email protected] [GData]  Synchronizing folder list
8:19:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
8:19:13 AM [email protected] [GData]  Synchronizing folder list
8:19:13 AM [email protected] [GData]  Deleting item(s) from folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
8:19:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  MailExceptions.OperationException: Unable to create folder “[email protected]/Trash/” on the server. ([ALREADYEXISTS] Duplicate folder name (Failure))
8:19:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
8:19:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
8:19:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/UCA
8:19:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/ValleyRoad
8:19:14 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
8:19:14 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/[Gmail]
8:19:14 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/ValleyRoad/House
8:19:14 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/Trash
8:19:14 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
8:19:15 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done

I appreciate any suggestions that might help me correct this error.

Thank you,
Brent.

Hi Brent,
it seems like you’ve created another Trash folder under your account that’s being uploaded to the server.
Can you please check your subfolder tree if there are multiple Trash folders included and if there are, please delete one of the folders, or try to right click your account in the left sidebar and select Properties > Repair, and click on the “Repair” button.

That should resolve the issue.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your response. I know it’s been a couple of months since, I’ve just been living with the problem.  

Actually, I did not create any folders at all. This problem manifested immediately upon setting up my account in the new installation of emClient (I’m a new user of the program). I did try repairing, but with no improvement.  It’s not a tragic problem, but it is annoying.

Brent.

Hi again Brent, please try to update your application to this release and check if the issue persists, http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21264/setup.msi , after you do so, please also try to perform the folder repair on the existing trash folders and on your account.

Let me know if the issue reoccurs,
Paul. 

I installed the new release as suggested and performed the folder repair option, however, there was no change in the issue. I still receive the same error message. 

Thank you for assisting.

Brent.

Hi again Brent, if the issue persists, please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on IMAP logging for the problematic account,

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue (Do a folder repair and an account repair).
    If the issue persists and the error is again shown, please go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs” and submit the logs to my email [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

I am not certain how, but I have managed to make the error message change to the following.

[IMAP] Unable to create folder “[email protected]/Trash/” on the server. ([CANNOT] No folder name given. (Failure))

Thanks,
Brent.

Please right click your Trash folder and select Properties > Repair and click on the Repair button, this should resolve the issue.

Thank you,
Paul

Thank you for your response.  I have done the repair option numerous times, and I performed it again just now, but the error remains.  I do like this email client, so I guess I will just have to live with the error.

Brent.

Hi again Brent, can you try to disable this account in Tools > Accounts > Your account and re-setup the account from scratch? This should allow you to synchronize only the data available on the server allowing you to get rid of any actions that are being done with the current account (e.g. folder creation).

Hope this helps,
Paul

I thought I might eventually have to do that, and should have tried it before.  I have now done so and it appears to have resolved the problem.  Thank you for your assistance.

Brent.

Great, glad it works, please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application.

Thank you,
Paul