Imap connection to Gmail failed

In the last few days I have been unable to receive any mail from my Google account. I have tried deleting and then readding the account - but still no joy. I can send mail, and incoming mail is received into my Google Mail account - but not via eMClient.

Well - from what I can make out, quite a few others have this problem. Thankfully, someone suggested that disabling IMAP checking on their ESET AV scanning may solved it for them. I tried it and it works. I was on the point of saying a sad farewell to eMClient.

Hi, yes this is great solution to your issue.

Jan

I’m having this problem also, but I don’t understand this proposed solution. I know the problem is not with the account’s server, because all messages are received when I use Thunderbird.

The proposed solution is to disable IMAP e-mail checking in the anti-virus program John Gittins is using (Eset Antivirus).

Disabling IMAP e-mail scanning in e.g. AVG antivirus also seems to help.

So maybe it will also help you if you disable scanning of IMAP e-mails in the antivirus solution you’re using.

I also have a problem connecting to one of my IMAP accounts (though not with Thunderbird). But I don’t see an option in Norton 360 to disable IMAP scanning. Besides, why would I want to disable my AV program’s email scanning? Shouldn’t eM Client be able to play happily with worthwhile AV program features?

Hi, could you try to disable your AV for a while and then synchronize in eM Client with your server?

Jan

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll try this the next time the problem recurs (it’s intermittent). But how does the AV-confict hypothesis explain the intermittent nature of the problem? And why would I want to use (or why would you develop, and be content not to correct) an email program that requires disabling AV email scanning?

Hi Stephen,

I was using Eset Smart Security before…that program was the cause that some attachments in Thunderbird were not always downloaded completely…I’m dependent on attachments for my work, so I have switched from Eset Smart Security to Bitdefender…now all my attachments are normally downloaded correctly and completely … in eM Client (and before in Thunderbird also).

So sometimes AV software is negatively interfering with other programs…:frowning:

Hans: Thanks very much for that information. I use Norton 360, and as yet I haven’t found a setting that seems relevant to this situation. And I don’t like the idea of disabling the virus scanning of emails, or of not using a program that in other respects seems to work just fine (and causes no issues with Thunderbird, as far as I can tell), and for which I’ve already paid a decent amount of money. But maybe Norton is not the culprit. Still working on it…

Hi, do you still experience this issue even after disabling Antivirus? I need to know what happens if you do it at least for a while - one time synchronization.

Jan

I was indeed able to connect to all my accounts after disabling Norton AV. Before that, I was unable to connect to all my accounts. Why should I be content with an email program that forces me to disable AV protection? This is very frustratiing, but your program has some fabulous features.
In case it helps, here’s the error log I received.
7:27:19 AM Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability
7:27:20 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
7:27:20 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:20 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
7:27:20 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:34 AM [email protected] [XMPP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException:
7:27:34 AM (Bad host: talk.google.com)
7:27:34 AM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found
7:27:34 AM at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient…ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9()
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(Func`1 getStream)
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(String receiveHost, Int32 receivePort, Boolean explicitSsl)
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
7:27:34 AM — End of inner exception stack trace —
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle)
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ActivateFolderCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
7:27:34 AM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
7:27:35 AM [email protected] [XMPP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException:
7:27:35 AM (Bad host: talk.google.com)
7:27:35 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:35 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:38 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:38 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:39 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:39 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:40 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:40 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:41 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:43 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:44 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
7:27:45 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…
7:27:45 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…: Done
7:27:45 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:45 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…
7:27:45 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: Done
7:27:45 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
7:27:46 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…: Done
7:27:47 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
7:27:47 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
7:27:48 AM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/[email protected]/’
7:27:49 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: Done
7:27:49 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
7:27:51 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: Done
7:27:51 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/[Gmail]
7:27:52 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: Done
7:27:52 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
7:27:52 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing messages: Done
7:27:53 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: Done
7:27:53 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/[Gmail]
7:27:53 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: Done
7:27:53 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
7:27:54 AM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing messages: Done