Images come in greyed-out


small team here with all of us using eM Client.
We all have the similar problem that incoming attached pictures are cropped grey. They show like that in the body of the email (automatic download) but also when downloading them elsewhere.

Example below.

How can we solve this?
Because of this, we need to get back to our email provider in the browser to get to download the images in their entirety. Which is obviously not the reason we got a client on our laptops.

Go to Menu > Tools > Settings > General and make sure that Show Local Folders is selected.

Then copy one of theses messages to the Local Folder Inbox and see if there is any difference.

Thank you for the feedback.

Show local folders was selected, and unfortunately copying one of the messages into the local folder inbox doesn’t change anything.

Make sure you are using the latest version of eM Client. You can download and install it from the Release History.

If that does not help, and I am assuming you have a Pro License, please open a support ticket directly with eM Client.

I confirm I’m using the last version of the program.

I haven’t gone pro for the moment. I guess I will when I’m tired of using the workaround I mentioned earlier.

Thanks anyway!

Right-click on one of these problem messages and choose Forward > Forward as Attachment. Send it to me at my email address. I will have a look.

Thanks for the email. It may be that either eM Client is not fully compatible with your server, or the server is not correctly configured.

@ Francois,

My take on this problem is somewhat different - I may well be wrong,
but the incomplete picture - as shown in your screenshot, indicates interference
with downloading the graphic
(the picture isn’t cropped - it just didn’t fully download)

Does your AV or other security program scan your incoming mail?
This either delays- or stops- the complete download of the graphic or other attachment.

You may have to adjust your settings in the AV program.


Thank you both for your feedbacks.

Quick update here to say that using another email client actually makes the trick. It fetches all pics fine.
And doing it from the webmail page works for some pics, but not for others…

The server-side guys from the email provider are checking it. I’ll post an update when it’s solved.

Thanks for sharing this possibility.

I have Defender and MalwareBytes installed. I don’t believe the latter could be the culprit as we don’t have it all installed here, and yet all face the same problem.

We all have Defender though. But I have no clue how to check whether it scans my emails or not.
Will google that next week, if nothing new come from the devs server-side.


Windows Defender is unlikely to cause issues with eM Client and it does not monitor sending and receiving of messages.

Odd that some of the webmail pics are also incomplete. That definitely indicates some issue there.

Look forward to hearing what the server people say. 

Email provider sent us a batch of their own pics to test.

Only one of them would show entirely through eM Client, others were broken.
All of them opened fine from the browser.

Because of that, “there’s currently nothing more [they] can do.”
In the next week I will try to replicate this issue with different e-mail clients (today tested with Thunderbird and Outlook) and if we find anything what would help, I will then send that information.

Thanks to them for trying; I know they might also be looking at this thread.

Received 4 new jpg files this day.
Opening from eM Client, 3/4 open fine, 1/4 doesn’t.

Opening from the browser or another client: 4/4 open fine.

No news from the server guys besides that.

Also got a .pdf today …which reminded me I have the same kind of issue with them too.

  • “There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired” in eM Client
  • Shows/downloads fine from web/other client

I had actually posted about it here first. 
Looks like pointless duplication now. Let me know if I should remove it (or if it’s better to separate both types of files).

I think the two issues are related: it is most likely a configuration issue with your server.