iCloud Auth Failed

Hi all - I’m new to eM Mail, was running great for a few days and so far I very much enjoy the interface, however having the same issues with iCloud Auth on the SMTP side that others have reported.

‘Server says "5.7.8 Error; authentication failed’

I am using an app-specific password.

I am also using the mail server settings as outlined by Apple here Mail server settings for iCloud email clients - Apple Support

Strange thing is, my incoming mail via IMAP is working fine, it’s just the outgoing SMTP that is having issues.

Anyone been able to get to the bottom of this issue?

Just a small update…incoming IMAP was working fine but now it’s broken as well unfortunately.

I’m getting the same problem, I can receive but I can’t send. I always had a mecom Apple address which had another address added, icloudcom
They both work fine though, the smtp aims for the me.com rather than icloudcom
I don’t know of that’s got anything to do with it. Did you ever het a reply that fixed it?
Thanks
Tony

I’m having the exact same problem, and it’s why I won’t pay for the proper version. I just don’t trust it. Everything else is fine, icloud incoming works, as does my other account. Just the icloud smtp won’t connect.

Every now and then icloud and em client have issues working together and every time I ask em client about it they say ‘ask apple’ which is nuts and it’s a shame they don’t keep on top of what it takes to make apple mail / cal work within em client. After icloud email again died for no known reason the other day, here is exactly what it takes in em client for me to get it working now. Has to be exactly like this:

General:
Login Name: just the first part of your .icloud email
Password: your app specific pw
IMAP:
imap.mail.me.com
port 993
Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Under Authentication select: “Use these creditials” and again use the first part of your email only and pw.
SMPT:
smtp.mail.me.com
port 587
Force usage of SSL/TLS
“Use these credentials” again, and this time use full icloud email address
CardDAV and CalDAV I also “use these credentials” and re-type them.

These nuances are obviously nothing Apple are ever going to help you with (and obviously ‘contacting Apple’ isn’t really a thing)…

Hope that helps someone.

With your previous issue, the server not sending the invitations, unfortunately that is not something that can be fixed on the client side. If the server is not sending it, you will need to contact your provider for assistance. It is possible, and they are quite helpful.

It should really be the full email address, as it won’t work for everyone.

Better to use identity credentials. Then IMAP, SMTP, CalDAV and CardDAV will use the credentials you enter on the General tab. That means just one place to enter them rather than separately on each tab. Entering the same thing separately in each of the 4 tabs also increases the chance of making a mistake and takes 4 times as long if you need to change the password. :wink: