I have stopped using Em Client because of the synchronising with my GMail account.

All I want from the Em Client is to download from my inbox on my GMail account to my computer. The basic meaning of ‘Client’. When the email is downloaded, I can categorize and/or move to sub folders/labels as is my wish. Either manually or using ‘Rules’. I don’t want my email client to update my gmail account with anything. I keep my GMail account pretty empty. I clean it out, for personal security reasons, very often. I could not switch off this deplorable synchronizing feature. It also slows down the . I cannot understand why it is so important for Em Client to update GMail.

After I imported bulky folders from my old, and collapsed, Thunderbird, I found that Em Client had updated my GMail (in Googles servers, somewhere), with all my emails going back a few years to my account. Material that I had already exhaustively deleted from my gmail account. Including emptying the ‘Trash’. Wasn’t easy to delete that stuff either. Google doesn’t make it easy to remove information that has value to them. I am sure that Google does keep backups. But. I suspect that getting material from the Backups would require some government request. That doesn’t worry me. But hacking does worry me. That is why I keep deleting my emails from the server.

Nice looking software. I wanted to use it. But for me, unusable. Pity. I gave it my ‘all’ for nearly two days until I gave up.

What you want is to use POP3 instead of IMAP. That way eM Client will store all email on your computer and you can organize it any way you want without it syncing to GMail. Also in the POP settings you can specify to delete all email from GMail once it has been downloaded, thereby preserving security of your email.
See the help file under creating new accounts for details on how to setup an account with POP3.

OK. I’ll try again without IMAP.

Thank you for your response.

Previous computer ‘sick’ and is ‘in hospital’.

Have re-installed eM Client on a VM win 10 machine. How do I ‘set’ it to POP.

In the ‘Accounts’ screen, the are the following TABS: General, IMAP, SMPT, Diagnostics.

I have unchecked the ‘Automatically detect folder names’ check box.

But. Where is POP. No mention of it in the Account screen.

It is still ‘synchronizing’ all the time.

You can’t convert an IMAP account to POP3. You will have to set it up as a new account. Please see the help file: Creating a New Account.

‘Creating a New Account.’???

I have already defined two accounts. Now I want to delete one root account to ‘reCreate’ it again as a POP account. How does one delete the account? Right-mouse-click shows a drop down menu. But. No delete.

Gary. I appreciate your replies. But. Do you think that Em Client is ‘right for me’? I don’t want synchronisation other than downloading from my inbox only. If I want to fiddle around with GMail on the server, new labels etc, or to delete emails ‘manually’,I will go directly into my GMail account using the email address and password. True. The GMail interface has a lot to be desired which is why I want an email client. On my computer.

I recognize that some users, perhaps most, will want what IMAP provides. But. I don’t. And I don’t want any other application manipulating my GMail settings. Or whatever.

Just a simple download from the inbox.

Now. I can delete em client completely from the virtual machine, (uninstall), or use a stored copy of the ‘virgin’ virtual machine and rebuild it just to run eM Client. (Have plenty of internal memory on my desktop pc). But. Are you sure that I can limit eM Client to just POP services.

Somehow, eM Client seems to be intent on ‘synchronizing’. I have a fast connection, but, what exactly is it synchronizing??

So. I tried adding another account. It let me go through the process even though it stipulates that the free version only allows two email accounts. I went to the help file, as you recommended - but the following screen allowing me to select POP, didn’t appear.

The ‘new’ email address did appear though. Although I couldn’t use it.

If you could tell me which file in the eM Client folder contains the defined accounts, could I delete them there as html. I am familiar with html files. If that happened, does eM Client know how to ‘cleanse itself’ of email data in it data files if the account is no longer defined?? A bit risky. Huh?

Just a bit to add which may be of interest. I tried to install latest Thunderbird on the VM and defined my gmail account. Almost complete chaos ensued. I hadn’t even got to importing anything. Just defining the GMail account.

To delete an account go to Menu > Tools > Accounts. There is a trash can next to each account. Click on the trash can to delete the account.

Is eM Client right for you? That is something only you can answer. You could choose Outlook, Thunderbird or eM Client and set them up to work the way you want. But whatever client you choose, IMAP is not for you. I think that POP3 is definitely what you are looking for, and you can use it on any of these clients.

What POP does is download the messages from the server and store them locally. Then every 15 minutes (or whatever you have set it to) it will connect to the server and download any new messages. That is the only thing it does and the only time that it connects to the server. It is not a 2-way sync, it simply downloads new messages and that is it.

With POP3 you cannot manipulate GMail like with IMAP. Depending on how you have set it up, it will delete are leave these message on the server, but you cannot create folders. Also when you setup a POP account, you will not have access to Google Settings (to set your vacation responder) nor will you have access to Google Contacts or Google Calendar. POP3 is just for retrieving new messages from the server - that is it.

Setting up a POP3 account

In this section, you can select particular e-mail accounts that you would like to set up. The first four e-mail providers displayed will always be the most used ones in the location where you currently are. These four displayed will also always have predefined configuration and their server settings will be retrieved automatically. Setup of those will be done in only 3 simple steps.

Click on the other button to set up a different email account. In this case, the setup be a little more complex, performed in six steps - you will be asked to fill in all the e-mail settings.

Setting up POP3 account:

Step 1 - Identity:

![](http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/creating new account other step 1.png “Image: http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/creating new account other step 1.png”)

Step two - Account type and incoming server information:

![](http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/creating other account step 2.png “Image: http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/creating other account step 2.png”)

Step 3 - Outgoing server information.

![](http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/screenshot new account other step 3.png “Image: http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/screenshot new account other step 3.png”)

Step 4 - Testing configuration

![](http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/other account step 4.png “Image: http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/other account step 4.png”)

During this step, your configuration will be tested. If your account details were typed in correctly, a green tick will appear. If there are some problems with the configuration (for example if your password was not entered correctly), a red cross will be displayed (as you can see in the picture). You can always change your configuration by clicking on the Fix button.

Step 5 - Adding additional information about your new account:

![](http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/other account step 5.png “Image: http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/other account step 5.png”)

Step 6 - finishing up

![](http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/other account 6.png “Image: http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/other account 6.png”)

Note that on this final screen you can specify if you want the application to create a separate folder tree for the messages for your POP3 account, or if the messages should be stored in Local Folders.

Thanks again for your trouble Gary. As you have probably understood, I am not a ‘phone’ person. (Android or IPhone). The delete was there staring me in the face. And It didn’t register.

I will try.

Yes. Thanks. I have created my account inside eM Client and everything seems to work fine.

Thanks again for your detailed help. takes 2 seconds.

Sorry to have been so … clumsy.

I had the same issues. Tried the same solution but failed the testing. It cycled through many tries  without success. Did I just not wait through all of them.? I clicked “ignore the tests”. Continued and in the end no account was set up. Any solutions.? I had deleted the previous IMAP account. 

I have noticed that on occasion when eM Client is not able to determine the correct settings, and you clicked on ignore the test result, the account is not created. If you do it a second time, it should work. It is also important that if you have selected to ignore the test result, that go into the account settings afterward and enter your provider’s correct details.

I’ll try that. I noticed in another thread on the topic that it was recommended to go into the source email system’s web interface and select in the pop3 preferences whether you want all emails sent to Em Client or just those that appear going forward and also whether you want new emails deleted from the server or left on the server. I can’t find this in Gmail.

GMail in your web browser. Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP

Thanks. This gets more complex. My wife and I both share a single GMail account. I use a Mac and get emails from Gmail via POP3 in “Mail”. The instructions within GMail say that POP can only be used for one computer. We had just set up the Em Client on her Windows 7 machine. The problem is that we don’t want to delete anything on the Gmail server because we want each of us to pull all the emails into our respective computers. When I initially set up Em Client for her it was using IMAP which was deleting emails on the Gmail server if she deleted it on Em Client. But now I see in the Gmail settings that I can set IMAP to not delete the email on the server when deleted on client servers. So would doing that within Gmail and accepting the default IMAP configuration for Em Client be the best way to go? And can I do the same for Outlook on which we also have a shared account?

And another question. How can my “Mail” client on my Mac be getting email from Gmail if POP is not enabled on Gmail? The settings in “Mail” tell me that it is set for POP3 and there is a selection there (a box to click) within the Gmail account settings in “Mail” to leave the delivered email on the server.

Sorry. POP was and is already enabled on Gmail. So is IMAP. So again is the best solution to turn off automatic deletion for IMAP within Gmail and use IMAP for the Em Client accounts?

If you are both accessing the same account from separate computers, you do not want to be using POP3. IMAP is specifically designed for what you want. With the default IMAP settings in eM Client and GMail you will be fine accessing from both computers.

So use IMAP for both the “Em Client” and “Mail” client programs and turn off automatic deletion for IMAP within both Gmail and Hotmail, is that correct?