i Can't send emails

I can’t get em Client to send emails. I use the same
setting as I successfully used with Outlook. They work with outlook (on the same computer) but not on em client. When I diagnose, I get a message that the server is not responding. If I click fix it, I eventually get confirmation that it is fixed, but it isn’t. I still get the same “server is not responding” message.

On the SMTP tab:
The host is                      mail.jayesheating.co.uk
The port is                       465

These are exactly the same as I have set up for Outlook

Server requires authentication box is ticked and use identity credentials is selected.
I have selected Use SSL/TLS if available.
Enable service is ticked

With Outlook, SSL is selected as the type of encrypted connection.

Where am I going wrong?

This is the latest diagnostic log for the SMTP. It means nothing to me, but here it is anyway.

11/13/2014 11:56:01 1 no such table: mail_fti.SubjectIndex_stat
11/13/2014 11:56:01 1 no such table: mail_fti.AddressIndex_stat
11/13/2014 11:56:01 1 no such table: mail_fti.LocalMailsIndex3_stat

Hi Richard, seems like you’ve posted an sqlite.log instead of the SMTP log, however can you please specify what version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you check for the exact version number in Help > About? What mail service are you using with eM Client? Are there any errors displayed while trying to send out the message?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul

How do I find and recognise a SMTP log?
em client version 6.0.21040.0
Mail service: I think this is “server3.annwebcom.co.uk
The error message says:
"Richard Jayes: Connecting to Richard Jayes failed.
[SMTP] An attemp to connect to Richard Jayes failed. This could be caused by a temporary server unavailability or incorrect settigs…"

The server is available as Outlook can connect to it, so it must be the settings.

Thanks
Richard

Hi again, when the error occurs, can you please switch to the “Log” tab in the operations window, copy the content of the log and post it here on the forum?
To start SMTP logging, please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced, and check SMTP for your problematic account.

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Once the error occurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs”, SMTP log should be included and should be named accordingly to it’s time of creation.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hi paul

When I click on “send logs” it opens an email to support and attaches 2 blank notpad documents and a sqlite log. I can see the SMTP logs in the operations window and they are as follows:

13:19:47 Richard Jayes [SMTP]  MailExceptions.SocketException: Connect failed with reason:
13:19:47     “A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 213.246.110.24:486”
13:19:47    at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
13:17:50    at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
13:17:50    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Hope this makes sense.

Richard

Are you using any security software on your computer, for example firewall or proxy software?
The error you’re seeing suggests it’s the server that drops the connection and doesn’t respond, are you completely sure other email clients can currently send emails using this account?

This seems to be a server issue unfortunately.

Thank you,
Paul.

We use  AVG free & windows 7 firewall.
Yes. Outlook will send out our emails using SMTP port 465. I have just sent a test to my wife using Outlook and em client. Oulook sent it and it has been received, em client still has it in my outbox and I got the same  error message I first described above.

Hi again Richard, can you please try to temporarily disable the AVG security and check if the issue persists? Some security softwares may be blocking the application’s ability to connect to your email server, however you should be able to setup an exception in this case.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul

I disabled AVG, but still can’t send. I then uninstalled AVG, but still the same. However, as I had to close & reboot my computer, I was reminded that Outlook always shows the following message after I have reopened Outlook and attempt to send a message:

"The server you are connectied is using a security certificate that cannot be verified.

The target principle is incorrect."

I then click YES to “Do you want to continue to use this server?”

and Outlook remembers this untill I close Outlook. It occures to me that em Client dosn’t ask this question.

I have looked at “Certificates” on the em Client settings tab, but can’t work out which settings should be selected.

Hi Richard, if there’s a certificate issue between the client and the server, the message should be shown after account setup or with every reopening of the application, however the warning also contains the option to remember your selection, thus may never be shown again. Are you using an IMAP account, how did you setup the account in eM Client did you use the automatic setup?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul
I don’t know what an IMAC account is? How do I find out if I am using one?
I think I used a manual setup, but I can always reinstall em Client and set it up differently if necessary. Could you please give me some advice on what to look for and which options to sellect if I do this.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

tools > accounts

I only have POP3 e-mail accounts, so I have a POP3 tab page for each e-mail account.

If you would have an IMAP e-mail account, you should have an IMAP tab page instead of a POP3 tab page (I guess).

Hi again, as Hans suggeste you can check if you’re using an IMAP account in your account settings, go to Tools > Accounts > your account, and check if you have an IMAP tab present for this account.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul & Hans,
In that case, I have a STMP and a Pop3 Tab. I set it up this way because thats what worked with Outlook.(I don’t understand the difference between a Pop3 account and an IMAP account.) However, I still don’t know how to get em Client to log onto my outgoing SMTP server and ignore the certificate.

Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard,

Biggest difference between IMAP and POP3 is that with POP3 all your e-mails will be downloaded to your computer and removed from the server. That means you can only see the e-mails on 1 device. (If I’m not mistaken.)

With IMAP the e-mail on your device will be synchronized with the e-mail on the server. That means if you read an e-mail on device A, you will later see on device B that that e-mail has already been read. (Assuming device A and B are both using IMAP.)

Thanks for explaining that Hans

Yes, I definatly have a Pop3 Account & that’s the way I want it. However what about the certificate? I can’t send emails with em Client!

Richard

Hi again, have you been prompted to connect to the server using the “invalid” certificate? Can you please make a screenshot of the window, as I earlier advised, this window contains an option to connect and also a checkbox to remember your choice so you’re not prompted every time you try to send a message or every time you re-open the application.

Thank you,
Paul.

No, I don’t get any prompt. (so I can’t take a screen shot). All I get is the error messeage decribed above i.e.

"Richard Jayes: Connecting to Richard Jayes failed.
[SMTP] An attemp to connect to Richard Jayes failed. This could be caused by a temporary server unavailability or incorrect settigs…"

It seems that I will not be able to use em client as it will not send my  emails & nobody is able to help me. I am sorry about this as I really liked most of the other features.

Hi Richard, I’m sorry but unfortunately this seems to be a server issue, to make absolutely sure, can you please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on IMAP/SMTP logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Once the issue reoccurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs”, send the logs to my email [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic?

Thank you,
Paul.