I can't create a pop gmail account in this client

Hi,

I have been trying to create an account with Em Client for some time now. The thing is I want a POP3 account. I have selected “other” and then put my details in but it fails to create the account every time. It just says that the server configuration has failed. I am really tired of it. In Thunderbird this process takes five minutes. In Em Client I have been trying for days!! I don’t know who thought this was a substitute, but this is the worst substitute I’ve every found!!

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to create a POP3 account in this client??

Thanks in advance and sorry if I sound frustrated!
Niels

Hi Niels, what mail service are you trying to setup in eM Client? What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you check for the exact version number in Help > About?

Are you using any security software on your computer, such as firewall or proxy configuration or possibly an antivirus with email protection?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

In the title/subject of this thread is written that Niels would like to setup a GMail account using POP3, so I assume he’s trying to use GMail service :slight_smile:

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not clarifying earlier, I am trying to set up a Gmail account.

I discovered that I can force it to work by letting it fail initially (when it is trying to connect the incoming and outgoing servers) and then going in and editing the settings later.

I have to go in and change the port numbers manually and the type of security policy to “Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)” I would still like to be able to do it just by clicking the create a “Gmail” account button and then setting up a POP3 Gmail account.

Any suggestions?

By the way there is no proxy/firwall/ antivirus blocking it. And I am also using the latest version.

Thanks
Niels

Hi Niels, Gmail’s autodiscover feature automatically sets up an IMAP account as this is the default settings and also lets you use a number of helpful features of IMAP. To setup a POP3 account you have to select ‘Other’ and use the recommended POP3 settings for your account.

If the setup sets up an IMAP account it is not possible to adjust the account to use POP3 protocol, the account has to be setup as POP from the beginning.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Yeah I gathered that. The really issue is that with the default POP settings, creating an account by clicking “Other” does not actually work. It fails to connect to the POP and SMTP incoming and outgoing servers. You actually have to let it fail, click ignore the issue and then manually go and fix the POP and SMTP ports to the correct port numbers and security policy (I mentioned this issue above.)

Seeing as Thunderbird just has a choice when you choose to make a Gmail account, POP or IMAP and then it automatically fills in the required servers for either and this whole process takes less than 5 minutes. (And it works at the end) The question is, how hard would this be to implement? Make the “Gmail” choice come with the option of POP3 or IMAP. Its not really that hard.

You claim to be the Email client to end all email  clients and I really love the way your software works! But… when I have to spend more than 3 hours trying to figure out how to set up an email account that I could have setup in 5 minutes using Outlook or Thunderbird, I’d say there is something missing from your software.

Thanks for the help though.
Niels

Hi Niels, thank you for your suggestion we’ll consider adding the option to future releases of eM Client.

Best regards,
Paul.