I am trying to get a wider scroll bar.

I am trying to get a wider scroll bar.

I open EmClient
Menu > Settings > Appearance > Themes > select Modern > Theme Editor > Scollbar
in Scrollbar I select Use System Scrollbar
A wider scrollbar displays.
Click apply
Wide Scroll Bar displays OK
I click save and a directory opens which has nothing to do with emclient, so where do I save the theme and what should I call it?

Thanks for your help
Regards

John

You can save the file anywhere.

Once that is done, go back to Menu > Settings > Appearance > Themes and click on Import. Select the file you saved.

It will then appear at the end of the list of themes, so select it and click on Save & Close.

This perplexed me as well and others have been caught in that trap. Normally, when I change a file and save, or do a save as, I am moved to the new file. If I save file1.txt to file2.txt, I end up in File2.txt not file1.txt. Doing a save as, then remaining in the first file not the one you just saved, then needing to exit and re-enter using the new name is weird. It is especially weird when most settings in most programs take place immediately, and when they don’t, they say something like, “you need to restart for these settings to take effect.”

I’d like to request that either saving automatically moves to the new settings, or warns us what we need to do. I tried 4 or 5 times before kinda figuring it out. Maybe I didn’t, but I finally got it working.

When you choose Save As, just enter the name you want to use. By default it is Theme.emtheme, so I am not sure why you are saving it as a text file. But whatever you enter will be used. I really don’t understand why you need to exit and then renter a different name. Makes no sense.

If you save the file in the database C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Themes\ folder, it will automatically appear in the list after the next restart of eM Client.

Here is how all other systems change settings or themes.

1. You change the settings. That’s it. Done. Sometimes, you might need to restart the application for the setting or theme to take effect.

Here’s how emClient changes settings according to the simple obvious method you wrote above:

You can save the file anywhere.

Once that is done, go back to Menu > Settings > Appearance > Themes and click on Import. Select the file you saved.

It will then appear at the end of the list of themes, so select it and click on Save & Close.

So your system is 1. Save the file. 2. go back to the menu. 3. Choose settings / appearance / themes and import. 4. Select the file you created before. then 5. Save and close
If you are confused, imagine how confused everyone else is.

When I gave an example of how when you save a file, most programs automatically put you in the file you saved. The name of the file I used in the example is unimportant. I expected that when I modified a theme and saved the theme I was saving the theme to the name of the file I was in, and changing that theme.

But that isn’t what happens. You create a brand new theme and give it a phoney name.

Ok. That’s ok. But other programs if my save was really a save as, would put me in the new theme, not the old theme looking like the new theme. Perhaps a question like, “Would you like this to be your default theme?” Would help. I honestly had no idea what you did with the changes I made to the theme or how to get them.

I eventually worked it out, but the user experience was terrible.

Here is the eM Client blog on creating either new Themes from scratch or from your current Theme via Save as or using / importing a custom theme as @Gary advised.

Ps I personally don’t have any issues with the way eM Client Themes are saved and then imported to the theme editor & modified.

https://www.emclient.com/blog/design-your-own-em-client-421

With eM Client, we don’t allow you to change the default themes. So if you edit it, and save it (no need to save as, just save) then you can import your custom theme and use that.

With eM Client, we don’t allow you to change the default themes

That is completely reasonable. I have no objection. No problem. This is not the issue.

So if you edit it, and save it (no need to save as, just save)

Here you miss the point. You do a save as. When you save something you save it. If I save my fabulous blog post, I save it. When you save as something else, with another name, that is a save as. However, emC does the weird thing of saying save but doing a save as instead. I and some others, didn’t make that turn. I thought I was saving. So I was perplexed when I returned and all the work I had done was gone. Then I redid the work. Saved. Returned. It was gone again.

I think it took me about 4 tries before I figured out that Save in this context means save as.

But, you do another weird thing. Not only do you say save, but do a save as, you also remain in the first file. Whenever I save any document to another name, the program moves me to the edited document.

There is nothing wrong with what emClient is doing. It is just the user interface is causing some people trouble and to have a bad experience. It could be fixed easily. After saving you could ask, “Would you like to use your new theme?” - That would make it clear what was happening. Or, “Would you like to make the new theme your default theme?”

You could even require naming the new theme Immediately upon trying to edit a theme. You could have a screen that said something like, “What would you like to call your new theme?” Then save and work in the new theme. Anything to make the process easier to understand.

2 Likes

If you edit a theme and want to save it, choose Save. Give it a name and carry on editing.

Then you have made some other changes, and choose Save. That replaces the one you are editing without prompting for a name. But you also have the option to Save As, in other words, save as a different file to the one you just saved. This is a standard practice.

Yes exactly. This is exactly the problem. The hapless user then returns to his saved edited theme and all his changes are gone.

This is a standard practice.

I’ve never seen it before. Never before have I saved a file I was working on, and returned to the file to lose all the changes I made because the program made up another name and saved the file under that name.

I understand that if you know how it works, it is simple and reasonable. But, if you don’t understand how it works, you keep losing all your changes because of the entirely non-standard practice.

1 Like

It is normal practice to ask for a file name the first time you save a file. Then without exiting the application, when you click on Save again, it just updates the saved file. That is standard practice.

If you want to save the file as another version, thus keeping the original file unchanged, then that is when you use Save As.

OK. Let’s say you are right. Or maybe this is a difference in operating systems. But, do you think that perhaps, for those of us who have never experienced this standard practice, because whenever I have worked on file1 and changed it and saved it giving it a name, even a default name, I’ve always had the app transfer me to the 2nd file. I’ve never been left in the first file. I’ve never been in a file with one name and made changes to that file having them saved in another file while remaining in the changed first file, but it wasn’t really changed. So, this standard practice is new to me.

Do you think that perhaps for those of us less adept with the latest standard practices, that perhaps some of the suggestions I made could help us understand this better?

You sent me a private message indicating you still don’t understand, including a long article describing the differences between save and save as which completely misses the problems I experienced. So, I’m going to try and give you an example of how your system is NOT typical.

Here is a typical system where I am editing a document called happiness.

A document

Notice the name of the file. Now, I edit the document and do a save as using the name sadness. Look what happens.

after save as sadnes

This is what the standard practice is. This is what all programs I’ve ever seen do, except for emClient. When you save as another name, the user is moved into the document with the other name, as Libre office (or word for that matter), moved me from the document happiness to the document sadness.

In Word or any other program, when I return to the document I edited and saved, it has what I edited and saved.

There is nothing wrong with deciding people should not be able to edit the themes. The problem is that when I edit a file, theme or configuration, or registry or whatever, and save and then see that the file is now how I like it, and then exit the program after saving, I don’t expect to come back to the file and have it lose all my edits.

Your process for editing settings is entirely different from your process for editing themes. It was not clear to me that I was now in another file, and not in the themes file I was editing.

I made a few suggestions for making this process clearer to the user. Do you believe those are all worthless? Can you improve on them?

Are you saying that those of us who had problems not following your user interface are just idiots and there is no way emclient could make the process clearer?

1 Like