HTML visible in message

Emails I receive from just one (reputable) organisation are displayed by eM Client with some HTML still visible - for example:
, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:15px; font-weight:normal; color:#575757;">Kind Regards

When I look at the same message on Webmail the HTML is not visible.

Any suggestions?
Many thanks.

No, other than checking that Menu ->Settings ->Mail ->Read → then
UNCHECK… Read all messages in plain text

¡Suerte!

skybat

¡Los mejores desde Genoa Port y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Thanks for the suggestion. As you suspected, it doesn’t get rid of the HTML, but it does change the text-wrapping, making the message easier to read (because the HTML appears on the left of the screen, and the message itself on the right).
Thanks again,
Bill

It means there is some error in the message HTML code. So something like a tag that is not properly closed. That kind of thing.

Thanks Gary

I’d like to tell them what they’re doing wrong, but I’m not familiar with HTML coding. If you feel like being even more helpful, might it be possible for you to identify the problem from the following:

Webmail display: Kind Regards

Webmail page source:

Kind Regards

eM Client display: , Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:15px; font-weight:normal; color:#575757;">Kind Regards

Of course, there’s no guarantee that they will do anything even if I am able to tell them what’s wrong with their coding, but it would be nice to try!

Thanks again,
Bill

Oh, that didn’t work very well, did it - the page source coding vanished when I pressed Reply!

I’ll try attaching a picture of it before it all goes wrong/

Should be more in the page source code.

What’s in the email body. Is there Pictures and Text etc.

Yes, there are errors in the code.

Should be

<span style="font-family: Calibri, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; font-weight: normal; color: #575757">

Yes, there was a lot more page source code, but I chose a typical line because in eM Client almost every line of the message (including blanks) starts with comma space Tahoma thus:
, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:15px; font-weight:normal; color:#575757;">

What puzzles me is that in yesterday’s reply to Gary (above) I pasted the full code for that line and it “vanished” from the display on the right, so clearly this webpage can interpret the code as intended by the sender, even though eM Client cannot.

Thanks again, Gary. I can see that your code is different, but both yours and the original coding seem to work on this page, but not in eM Client - which is why I wondered whether there was an eM Client setting that I needed to tweak.

There is no setting to tweak because we display exactly what the code says, as that is what the sender wanted you to see. In this case it has errors, so it will not display correctly.

Do you have any idea why this forum’s page can interpret their code the way my Webmail interprets it, when eM Client does not?

[Also, how did you manage to post code in your message without it being processed by the webpage?]

miércoles 02 agosto 2023 :: 1341hrs (UTC +0100)

The reason that @Gary code does not process is that it does not know that it is HTML code. I do not know what you tried to post but I guess it contained in the most basic form:

in that order with code instructions between the elements.

The Forum page is on a Web Browser as is your Webmail.
A Web Browser interprets code differently from eMC and is not as strict
I receive a monthly Newsletter from a Forum contributor, it does not display correctly in eMC, also the same in Outlook, The Bat! & probably others.
He is aware of this and provides the facility to view in a Browser.
We have both tried to resolve this without success.
The reason is that he uses a Mailchimp to compile and email distribute the newsletter from code he supplies and it modifies the code.
This is not exclusive to Mailchimp, I am aware that WordPress can also cause issues though this may be because users do not correctly understand how to deploy code.

¡Suerte!

skybat

¡Los mejores desde Valletta Port y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Thank you once again, Skybat. It’s reassuring to know someone else has seen this with eMC.

Unfortunately the sender of my problem emails is a British Government agency - National Savings and Investments - so my chances of getting them to admit to an error in their coding are slim.

What I tried to paste in to an earlier message was the line of page source code shown in this image:

But when I pasted it in it appeared as:
Webmail page source:

Kind Regards

In your message you say:
"I do not know what you tried to post but I guess it contained in the most basic form:

in that order with code instructions between the elements."
Presumably that means you, too, have had some code failing to display because of the Web Browser’s less strict interpretation of the code.

Many thanks,
Bill

miércoles 02 agosto 2023 :: 1728hrs (UTC +0100)

No, your assumption is not correct, all I posted are the base elements for an html document shown here as an image as I overlooked that the elements would not display:

code

there was no actual code within the elements.

And, the reason that issue that I experience is known and is completely different from the display error you have.

The image of code you have posted is in isolation and of no use to accurately determine the issue, and although the code @Gary posted is correctly formed and works in Webmail together with the original, without knowing what comes before and how it is expected to fit into the overall page code the fact that it does not give you the result you expect in eMC is not surprising.

All that the code you have posted and that which @Gary supplied does is to tell text how to appear (font, size, normal not bold, color in this case dark gray) the reason for a font choice is to allow a match with the most common used on a recipient system.

It is reasonable to assume that the same or similar coding will be used elsewhere in your email and displays correctly.

If you wanted to display all of the webpage code (I recommend that you do NOT do that here) as you say that you are not familiar with html you will need copy ALL the code and save as a text file for it to be edited, if that is what you want.

I suspect that National Savings in the UK would like to know there is an error.

¡Suerte!

skybat

¡Los mejores desde Valletta Port Port y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Thanks for explaining, but I’m confused by your

Does that mean I should NOT post the code even as a text file, because it will disclose things I won’t want disclosed?

miércoles 02 agosto 2023 :: 2044hrs (UTC +0100)

Absolutely, do NOT post any of the code if it includes identifiers; email, names, account numbers etc
I am about to leave for Paphos, Cyprus so if you intend to reply with other questions or queries there will be a delay in my reply as I will be at sea for approximately 30hrs if I can achieve a 28 knots average.

¡Suerte!

skybat

¡Los mejores desde Valletta Port y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Bon voyage! and thank you.

Bill