How to replace Outlook Express by eM Client plus GMail

My apologies for this long e-mail & numerous questions.

My current laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro M70 (circa 2006), running on Win XP SP3 (32 bit), & I am using Outlook Express 6, and a POP3 e-mail account provided by my ISP.

I have just purchased a new laptop, HP Probook 450G1, which will be running on Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit), and I am faced with the problem of selecting a desktop e-mail client for it.

I will be switching from the “512 kbps ADSL internet connection” provided my current ISP, to a “3G Broadband WiFi Internet connection”, provided by a NEW ISP, so that I can download the mammoth 3.85 GB Windows 8.1 upgrade (& future upgrades) in a reasonable time.

The NEW 3G Broadband ISP does not provide email accounts, and I will not be allowed to use the existing POP3 e-mail account that I have with my current ISP, which means that I will have to open a GMail account, and use it either as a POP3 account, or as an IMAP account.

Questions that come to mind are :

1. Procedure for Importing OE6 into eM Client :

What would be the best & simplest procedure for manually importing the OE 6 “dbx folders”, from the “Outlook Express” (Mail) Folder, and the “Address Book”, on Satellite Pro M70 /Win XP SP3 Laptop, into “eM Client” installed on my NEW HP Probook 45O G1 laptop ?

NOTE: I can copy the Outlook Express (Mail) Folder and the Address Book from my Sat Pro M70 laptop to a Flash Drive (pen drive), or an External Hard Drive.

Over the years, I have accumulated thousands of e-mails (1.8 GB) which are distributed amongst 210 OE e-mail folders, with a few of these folders having 2 or more sub-folders. Although only approx. 10 -15% of these OE folders are currently “active”, I would prefer to keep ALL of them when I migrate to a new desktop e-mail client.

• How /where would the OE6 Folders (& subfolders) appear in eM Client ?

For example, would they appear under a separate “OE Folder” List ?

• Am I likely to encounter any problems importing such a large amount of OE6 e-mail folders ?
  1. Pros & Cons of GMail POP3 vs IMAP :

What are the pros & cons of using “eM Client”, with GMail set up as a POP3 account, VERSUS using eM Client, with GMail setup as an IMAP account ?

1. With the GMail setup as an IMAP account :
  • will new mail messages received from GMail, be downloaded to a separate “GMail Inbox Folder” ?

• for the purpose of filing emails downloaded from a GMail IMAP account, would I have to (or should I) create separate GMail folders, that duplicate my “active” OE Folders on an “as need” basis.

• will e-mails sent from eM Client via my GMail IMAP account SMTP server, be automatically saved in an eM Client “Sent Folder” ?

If yes, would it be stored in a separate “GMail Sent Folder” in eM Client, or in a “general /common /shared " Sent Folder” ?

• does the synchronisation of GMail with the eM Client apply ONLY to those e-mails sent & received via the GMail account, or does it also apply to the imported OE6 Folders with their 1.8 GB of e-mails ?

That is, would the 1.8 GB of OE6 Folders /e-mail be uploaded to the GMail web-based account ?

1. With GMail setup as a POP3 account :
  • will new mail messages received from a GMail POP3 account be downloaded into a separate “GMail Inbox” Folder, or into a "general /common /shared “Inbox Folder” ?

• for the purpose of filing emails downloaded from a GMail POP3 account, would I have to (or should I) create separate GMail folders, that duplicate my “active” OE Folders on an “as need” basis.

• will e-mails sent from eM Client via my GMail POP3 account SMTP server, be automatically saved in an eM Client “Sent Folder” ?

If yes, would it be labelled in eM Client, as a GMail “Sent Folder”…

1. eM Client + GMail IMAP account on both Laptops :

Would I be able use eM Client with a “GMail IMAP account” on both my current Sat Pro M70 /Win XP SP3 (32 bit) laptop, & on my NEW HP Probook 450 G1 /Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit) laptop, and synchronise them with each other, so that all e-mails that are sent & received from either laptop, are stored on both laptops ?

If yes, would I need 2 eM Client licences ?

Would greatly appreciate any answers / advice that you can provide.

Thank you

Alan CB

Hi,
first I strongly suggest using IMAP with your new Gmail account that way you can keep your email organized and avoid any importing/exporting issues next time you need to switch.
There’s an import option for importing all your data from Outlook once you decide to switch, all your local folders and local data will be kept in local folders as well.
You should have no issues while importing such amount of data.

As I said IMAP will keep all your data synchronized but only what goes through that account, you could move all your emails to your new Gmail account though - that way it would be synchronized as well, but when you import it it will be in a local folder, but moving it to gmail is simple, just drag and drop the folders.

As to your POP3 questions, there really isn’t much good to say about POP3 accounts, not really any advantage, by my opinion it’s outdated.

I hope I answered all your questions,
Paul.

Hi Paul

Thank you very much for your reply, but I need some further clarification.

1. Quote from your reply -“There’s an import option for importing all your data from Outlook once you decide to switch, all your local folders and local data will be kept in local folders as well.
    You should have no issues while importing such amount of data.” - end quote.

Ques: Are you referring here, to importing Outlook Express data into Gmail IMAP account, or into eM Client ?

1. The following would be my criteria for using eM Client in combination with Gmail IMAP account :

(1) I would not want to have to import 1.8 GB of Outlook Express data into my GMail IMAP account.

(2) I would want to import Outlook Express data ONLY into eM Client, & I would NOT want to, or be compelled to synchronise Outlook Express e-mails imported into my eM Client, with my Gmail IMAP account.

(3) In eM Client, I would want all my imported Outlook Express folders to be kept separate from the Gmail folders.

(4) I would want the Gmail folders in eM Client to include Inbox, Outbox, Sent, Draft, Deleted, and any folders that I would create on an “as need” basis, which would reflect only the “currently active” folders in Outlook Express (about 20 - 30 of the imported 210 Outlook Express) on old sat Pro M70 laptop…

Only these “Gmail folders in eM Client” (not the 210 imported OE folders) would be synchronised with the “Gmail folders in my Gmail account”.

Please advise whether the above criteria (1), (2), (3) & (4) can be satisfied /achieved by using the eM Client / Gmail IMAP account combination.

1. Importing Outlook Express data on my old Sat Pro M70 laptop into eM Client on my new HP Probook laptop

Ques : What is the procedure for doing this ?

For example, can I can copy my Outlook Express Folder containing dbx files, and the Address Book folder onto a USB pen drive plugged into my old Sat Pro M70 laptop, and then plug the USB pen drive into my new HP Probook, and use eM Client to import the OE folders & Address Book from the USB pen drive into eM Client ?

1. Finally, would I have to purchase 2 licences for my new HP Probook 450 G1 laptop, & for my Old satellite Pro M70 laptop, should I decide to /have to also use it on the latter.

Regards
Alan

Paul

i meant to ask you, if possible, could you please intersperse your answers WITHIN my last e-mail, so that it would be easier to follow.

Thanks

Alan

1. I was talking about eM Client, you can move the data from eM Client’s local folders into your IMAP account once you’ve imported the data, but if you use the import feature it will be imported into local folders.

2. As I mentioned in 1) you can import the data into outlook by simply moving it, but you don’t have to. After the import from outlook express, the data will be kept in local folder, which will be then displayed in the left sidebar just as local folders were another email account, except it wouldn’t receive or send any new emails.

IMAP synchronizes all your folders so if you create one, it will be created on the server as well and everything you move into this folder will be synchronized too. It’s a great system, I bet you’ll love it.

1. Hmm, I guess the best thing would be installing eM Client on your old computer and then use the import function (which of course only works locally), after you import all your data into eM client you can make a backup of all the eM client’s data and transfer the backup to your new computer.

I wouldn’t recommend transferring the Outlook Express data onto your new computer, keep it where it is.

1. Well you can purchase a single license for your new computer and use a free license for the old one. I don’t know whether you’re a commercial user or not, but for more information about how to use your licenses and maybe get more information about the pricing you can contact our sales department at [email protected]

I hope I answered what you’ve needed to know,
Paul.

Hi Paul

Thank you very much for your last response, but I am still very confused.

First of all, I would to ensure that I have given you the correct info & objectives, so please excuse the repetition.

I am currently using Outlook Express 6 (NOT Outlook) on my “old” Sat Pro M70 / Win XP SP3 laptop, together with a POP3 e-mail account /address provided by current ISP (Mauritius Telecom /Orange).

I have a new HP Probook 450 G1 /Windows 8 Pro laptop, which does not have Outlook Express.

I will probably cancel the current POP3 e-mail account /address provided by current ISP (Mauritius Telecom /Orange).

I would like to use eM Client as my desktop e-mail client, together with a Gmail IMAP account (based on your recommendation), principally on my new HP Probook 450 G1 /Win 8 Pro laptop, but also on my old Sat Pro M70 /Win XP SP3 laptop.

I would like import all the “Outlook Express” e-mail folders (dbx) (1.8 GB) & the Address Book, which are on my old Sat Pro M70 /Win XP SP3) laptop, into the desktop eM Client (free version) on my old Sat Pro M70 /Win XP SP3 laptop, & into the desktop eM Client (paid version) on my new HP Probook 450 G1 Win 8 Pro laptop.

I DO NOT want to synchronise the all the Outlook Express e-mail /folders with my Gmail IMAP account, that is to say, I do not want them all to appear in my Gmail account, They must all only reside /appear in the eM Client.

The only E-mail /Folders that would be common to /synchronised between my desktop eM Client & my Gmail IMAP web account, would be the NEW folders that I create in eM Client, which I would create on as-need basis, & which, principally, would based on the 10 to 15% active Outlook Express Folders.

Actually what would be ideal, is if I could move the “active” “Outlook Express Folders” into an “Active Gmail Folders” section in eM Client, and then synchronise these folders with my Gmail account.

So, what I would eventually end up with, is effectively, an “Archive” of “unused” “former-Outlook Express Folders” (approx. 85 - 90% of the original Outlook Express Folders), plus & separate from, Active “former Outlook Express Folders” ( approx. 10 -15% of the original Outlook Express Folders), which would be synchronised with my Gmail IMAP account.

Questions :

(1) Can all of the above objective be accomplished ?

(2) Can you provide me with a “step-by-step” procedure for accomplishing these objectives ?

Regards

Alan

Hi, as I said you don’t have to synchronize the folders with your new gmail account BUT you can if you wanted to.
Imported Outlook Express folders will be kept separetely. As I suggested best option is to install eM client on your old machine use the import feature in eM Client and let eM Client import all the data, than make a backup and transfer that backup to your new computer - either using an external hard drive, a flash disk etc.

I hope this answers the questions.
Paul.

Paul, a belated thank you for your reply.

Some more questions for you.

I am now thinking of using an “Outlook.com” account instead of a Gmail account as an IMAP account with eM Client, because it more closely resembles Outlook Express in it’s simplicity & functionality.

Ques: Would eM Client work as well with an Outlook.com IMAP account, as it would with Gmail as an IMAP account ?

In the short term, I am also going to keep my old /current e-mail account that I have with my ISP (call it “my name@my ISP”), which I use as a POP3 account in Outlook Express.

Ques: Would I ALSO be able to use “my name@my ISP” as a POP3 account in eM Client ?

if yes :

Ques : Would I be able set up both my “Outlook.com IMAP account”, and also “my name@my ISP POP3 account” in the “Free” version of eM Client that I would install on my old laptop, as well as in the “Paid” version of eM Client installed on my new HP Probook 450 G1 laptop ?

Hi again,

as to your first question I personally recommend Gmail over Outlook.com, even though their synchronization is pretty good, it’s not as compatible as gmail.

As to your second question yes you can use POP3 for your current ISP account, however if you use the automatic setup for that account eM client would probably configure an IMAP for that account as well since it’s always does that if it’s available. You can setup a POP3 account manually though when you switch from the automatic setup tab to “email” tab, when creating a new account.

With free version of eM Client you can use two email accounts, so you should be able to use both accounts unless you have any more accounts.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info.

Before reading your reply I had already opened an “Outlook.com” account (which I like so far), & set up the “Free eM Client” on my old Sat Pro M70 laptop, & :

• imported Outlook Express into “local Folders” successfully

• imported Windows Address Book into “Contacts_OE” successfully

• set up my current ISP email account as a POP3 account (don’t think I have a choice, because I think only POP3 is offered, plus too much email to synchronise, although I suppose archiving most of it would avoid that problem.

• created my Outlook.com IMAP account successfully

Did some test emails (sending both ways in the 2 accounts) to ensure that both accounts are working, & that the Outlook.com account is synchronising

I generally browsed through the various features & options on the Menu Bar, & made a few changes to some of the settings. Everything seems to be very intuitive in EM Client, & consequently, so far have not had to refer to Help, except right at the start for a few seconds.

All seems OK, so the next step is to install the “Paid eM Client” on my new HP Probook 450 G1 laptop.

What is the easiest /best way to transfer the 2 accounts, contacts & the modified settings etc, from my “old Sat Pro M70 /Free eM Client” laptop, to my “new HP Probook 450 G1 /Paid eM Client” laptop ?

Regards

Alan

Hi, I mentioned how to tranfer your data from old computer to a new one previously, but you can make a backup of all your data which you can then safe onto a flash drive or an external hard drive (depends on how big of backup it will be and what you have available).

After you setup the client on your new computer you just go to File > Restore and restore your saved backup (you can create the backup in File > Backup).

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Paul.

Yes, thanks, that does help a lot.

So to recap, use “File > Backup” in the eM Client menu bar, in order to backup the “Free eM Client” data files on the old Laptop to an external drive, & then restore data files from the external hard drive, to the “Paid eM client” that has been installed on the new laptop.

By data files, I assume you mean the files for the email in the Local Folders & the Outlook.com Folders, the e-mail addresses in the Contacts folders, the account info (account names, usernames, passwords, server names etc), & the files that contain all the other user-definable /selectable settings etc, or do any of these settings have to be manually re-entered again ?

Well I had approx. 2.20 GB of “data files” (e-mail folders & the Address Book) that I that imported from Outlook Express into eM Client, plus there will be the additional data files originating solely from eM client (account info & user-defnable /selectable settings etc). Any idea how many GB the latter 2 are likely to be ?

The eM client folder in C: \Documents & Settings \Username\Application Data\eM Client is 2.45 GB, so I suppose the backup cannot be more than that.

Thanks again
Alan

The backup should be smaller than the Application Data folder since it’s compressed. But generally it’s pretty much the same since the backup contains this folder … compressed.

Backup contains your complete setup, including mails, accounts, passwords, etc. You don’t have to worry about anything else, everything is in the backup.

Thank you,
Paul.