How to reinstall with different storage location?

I know how to do a complete backup, but I suspect that it won’t work for what I want to do. Please allow me to explain.

My storage location is currently in H:\eM Client. I’m planning on doing a clean Windows installation, and change the drive letter to (E:\eM Client) for the storage location. If I create a backup and restore that, I suspect that the storage location would be the current location, correct?

Instead of doing a backup\restore, would the following work:

File - Export - Export settings to .xml file, select all the options in the next screen. After I’ve reinstalled Windows, start eM Client but skip the initial setup. Then either specify the new storage loaction (where the current database files have been copied to), and then File - Import - eM Client Settings (.xml), or import and then specify the storage location.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Go to your current H: storage location and “copy the whole folder contents” to an external drive and cloud drive too if you have that too just in case as a second copy of the database.

Then install your new hard drive and reinstall eM Client. Then open eM Client and “Skip the wizard setup”. Then go to eM Client settings (Storage Location) and set your new storage location.

Then save the settings and close eM Client. Then delete the folder contents of the new storage folder location and replace it with your original storage location folder contents.

Lastly reopen eM Client & should work fine.

Thank you.

So I don’t need to export and import the settings? The storage folder contents contain the accounts, passwords, etc?

So I don’t need to export and import the settings? The storage folder contents contain the accounts, passwords, etc?

No need to export or import anything as “everything is included” in the eM Client hidden folder.

1 Like