How to recover my backup to a new fresh instalation

Hi there;

I had to reinstall windows 10 and lost all my softwares and apps. Before that I copied the em Client files in a external hard disk, should be safe all emails.

Now, I re installed my em Client, but I dont know how to/where to place the backup file in order to have all my emails again.

Can anyone help please? Sorry if im asking for something that someone maybe asked but I cant find the answer.

Alex

If you are manually restoring your eM Client mail data for Windows , close EMC and replace the following (Hidden) Roaming folder with your data - C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\eM Client . Then reopen eM Client and everything should come back.

Or

If you backed up eM Client via ā€œMenu / Backupā€ in Windows, which is the recommended way to backup, just put your EMC backup file eg: backup_202104302159.zip in the following default folder
C:\Users\Yourname\Documents\EM Client . Then restore in EMC via ā€œMenu / File / Restoreā€.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did as described on action one but I have two issues now:

the folders i have (i manage email by clients folders) are existing, however empty - all folders
All attachements from all email cant be opened

Can you help on this matter as well?

Thanks again

Alex

Could be you have a different version by of eM Client installed than what you had before your computer / apps crashed etc.

Before restoring the EMC mail data via either the ā€œroaming data folderā€ or restoring via ā€œmenu / file / restoreā€ if you had a emc .zip backup, make sure you install the (same version of of eM Client) you had before. You can get all versions from the EMC version history page.

https://www.emclient.com/release-history

Hi again;

since I cant remember the version i had before my computer crashed, im going one by one, and replacing the Roaming folder with my eM Client folder.

What i gather so far, none are able to open the files and i have many issues and generated the following log (below).

Theres any other way to get the emails as well the attachments? Can i importa that to outlook? Iā€™m open for suggestions, I know is my fault not to have the details, but I do want to recover the emails + attachementsā€¦PLEASE

MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseHasNewerVersionException: Data file ā€˜C:\Users\avbur\AppData\Roaming\eM Client/folders.datā€™ has version 3 but only versions up to 1 are supported
at MailClient.Storage.Data.DbRepository1.ThrowIfNewerVersionThanSupported(String databaseName, String resourceName) at MailClient.Storage.Data.DbRepository1.CheckSchema(String databaseName, String resourceName)
at MailClient.Storage.Data.DbRepository1..ctor(DataStore dataStore, String location, String indexTable, String[] readWriteDatabaseNames, String[] readOnlyDatabaseNames) at MailClient.Storage.Data.DbFolderRepository..ctor(DataStore dataStore, String dbLocation) at MailClient.Accounts.ItemRepositories.Open(DataStore dataStore, String accountPath, AccountType accountType) at MailClient.Accounts.ItemRepositories..ctor(DataStore dataStore, String accountPath, AccountType accountType) at DbRepair.ConsistencyChecker.CheckConsistencyForAccount(String accountDirectory, RepairMode mode, CancellationToken token) at DbRepair.ConsistencyChecker.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Check>b__0(String p) at DbRepair.PerAccountExecutor.Execute(String dataStoreLocation, Func2 action)
at DbRepair.ConsistencyChecker.Check(RepairMode mode, CancellationToken token)
at DbRepair.CheckingProcess.Check(CancellationToken token)
Data:
AccountType: Mail
DatabaseLocation: C:\Users\avbur\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Archive

That probably wonā€™t work as the database is the complete folder contents, and interchanging individual files will usually result in the whole thing being broken.

What you need to do is, as @cyberzork commented, with eM Client closed, copy the whole C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\eM Client folder from your external disk to the same location on your hard disk, replacing everything that is there.

1 Like

Gary;

Thanks, but again it doesnā€™t work only by replacing everything there. Or either give me a message to update, or failure or go back to initial problem.

Any other alternative? Is it possible to open the email with all attachments on outlook? Or any tool to open still on em Client?

I really need the email and the attachments and I appreciate any suggestions y7ou may have.

Thanks again Gary

Alex

Hi all;

Well, i sent an email to Patrik Pukan [email protected] and he told me if I was VIP customer i coul;d have support, then i bought the license and emnail Patrik back and guess what???

Nothing!!! Im so upset with em Client!!! no one can solve the problem, then mislead me to purchase a very expensive license and no supportā€¦no solution

IS THIS A SOUR GRAPE??? Can i have a contact email of someone from Em Client that will REALLY HELP ME???

HELP PLEASE!!!

Uninstall eM Client, making sure to delete the database folder when asked.

If it exists, delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client folder.

Download and install the latest version from here: https://www.emclient.com/dist/latest/setup.msi

When eM Client restarts, cancel any setup window and close the application.

Copy the whole C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\eM Client folder from your external disk to the same location on your hard disk.

Restart eM Client.

Gary;

I have done exactly the same as you described and Iā€™m not able to open my attachments.

Iā€™m reaching the conclusion EMC should be called POS, because is unbelievable how come a simple task is so impossible to be done.

As you can see in the attachment picture, emails are available but attachments can not be opened!!!

I need the attachmentsā€¦10 years of work messagesā€¦and Iā€™m a consultant and need the messagesā€¦I moved from outlook to this because i thought was betterā€¦well better POS i guess.

There is two possibilities then if you cannot open the attachments.

Either you still have the wrong eM Client version installed so doesnā€™t match the database correctly and so not opening the attachments, or when the EMC roaming folder was copied to the external drive, the database may have had some sort of an error in it (prior to being copied) and so wonā€™t open the attachments.

@Gary I think I saw a post of yours a while ago where there is a way to tell what version of eM Client you originally had by looking at the mail database somehow ?

@Alexander_Valle_Burk Did you ever do a manual backup of eM Client via ā€œMenu / Backupā€ within EMC ?, or if not you may have had the ā€œAutomatic periodicā€ EMC backups enabled in settings which then (if was enabled), you can check your backed up ā€œC:\users\yourname\documents\emclientā€ folder for .zip files which you could then restore.

Failing that did you do any recent ā€œComputer Imagesā€ of your hard-disk where you could also restore the EMC database or possibly EMC .zip backup files from that if you have an image.

In a backup, there is a manifest.xml file which lists the version of eM Client used to make the backup. But just a copy of the database folder, I donā€™t think that is possible.

1 Like

so the conclusion is that i paid for a sour grape isnā€™t???

so far, VIP technical support is as good as refrigerator at north poleā€¦worthā€™s nothing!!!

Oh boy do I regret to trust 10 years of email on the hands of these people!!! A LOT!!

Can you please give the ticket number, and I will follow up that way.

[22:08, 5/6/2021] BURTEC Mobile: Hello,

Which eM Client version are you currently using and from which version is your database? It seems that you are trying to use an eM Client 8 database in eM Client 7. That is not possible. If you want to use your database in older eM Client version, you have to export your data from the new one. Please install the newest eM Client version and there should be no errors in it.

Best regards,

Patrik Pukan

Ticket Details

Ticket ID: 129862
Department: eM Client Support
Type: Issue
Priority: Low

Helpdesk: https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/default_import