How to keep mails of inactive address

Hello,
I deleted an address on hosting. It was a mistake, but I do not need anymore this address.
Of course, now I have errors’ messages about IMAP - that’s normal.
My question is: how can I keep/archive this account with all received/sent mails?

Hi France, you should be able to move all your items or use the automatic archiving option for this account to move all your items into local folders. This will allow you to have the messages stored safely in the application database.

You should also be able to move the messages from your current folder to another IMAP folder, if you have them currently downloaded in eM Client.

If you move your items to local folders, please make sure to export these messages to keep a backup of the data, or use the backup feature to backup your database, as the items do not have backed up copy on your mail server anymore.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I think I’ll use automatic archiving for this account. I’m waiting the account reactivation from host with whom I’m in contact through Tweeter.
But, what do you mean by moving message to another IMAP folder, what do you mean by IMAP folder?

If you have another account setup in eM Client that is using the IMAP protocol to synchronize your items, you can just move the items into any selected folder of that account which will upload these messages to your server and allow you to synchronize the items with your other devices or the server.

Hope this helps,
Paul

My intelligence is not at top! Sorry I do not understand. For me “server” is where are e-mails accounts created at my internet provider. At present time I cannot synchronize nor send or receive any mail of this account because, by mistake, I deleted it going in internet provider’s profile page.

Hi France, yes, but if you have the account still setup in eM Client you should have access to the already downloaded data, unless you’ve deleted the account from eM Client as well.

If you have the access to the messages you should be able to move them into any other IMAP account that you still have setup in eM Client or your local folders.

Hope this helps,
Paul

All sent and received mails of this account are still in eMClient.
You mean, I can move them in an other account?
For example “deleted_account_at_provider1” - moved to “Fran_at_provider1”?
If it is so, it will be difficult to make a search and I do not want to mix personal mails with others.
Sorry for my high level of stupidity :slight_smile:
Anyway, I think the best is to obtain reactivation of this account from the provider and then to use automatic archive.

Hi again, that’s of course up to you if you want to have the messages in another account or under local folders, you can for example create a personal folder on your second account (the active one) and have all your emails from the deleted account there, but again, I’ll leave this decision to you as it is a personal preference.

If you want to archive the messages into local folders, you should be able to do so with the account deactivated as well, however make sure to keep a backup of your local data in case anything goes wrong. Local folders are not automatically synchronized with any service so in case of a computer or application crash, this could result in data loss unless you have a backup.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Hello! Can you help me again? Provider reactivated the mail address. But…only the address and now all sent and received are lost. How can I retreive them using an eMclient backup.zip  of 3 days ago? Messages are still in eMclient on laptop.

Hi again, I’m afraid I don’t understand completely, if the messages are still in eM Client you can move them as I suggested previously.

If the provider reactivated the account but no messages are available on the server, having this account synchronized over IMAP, may result in removing the messages after re-sync. If you restore your em client from the backup, all your data will be rewritten with the data you have contained in the backup file and your account will then be re-synchronized with the mail server again.

Regards,
Paul

Messages in eMClient on second computer (laptop) are there because it is offline. If I put online, with synchronization, they will disappear. May be it will be better if I forget this account . Too much time not useful and boring for you and me :slight_smile:

Hi again France, as I previously suggested you can export or save those emails by moving them to another folder (for example local folders) even when the computer or the application is on offline mode, you do not need to connect the account in order to backup these messages.

Regards,
Paul

Automatic archive when offline did not work and move gave me error “impossible to move”.

Edit
I restaured using backup of 3 days ago. Messages did not appear.
It’s not a big problem, I give up with this account. Thank you Paul.

The archiving tool can only archive the messages if they are fully downloaded, do you have the items downloaded and available for reading in the instance of eM Client? You should still be able to drag and drop the downloaded messages to another folder, a local folder for instance.

Regards,
Paul

Drag and drop worked only for one message (!?). I had error “Enable to complete move operation”

It seems drag and drop is possible only from server, not from eMClient.

Hi again France, sorry about my mistake, this has been a wrong information, it is not possible to export, move or archive messages that are not fully downloaded, so in case the message is missing a body or an attachment hasn’t been downloaded completely, you will not be able to move the item without having the messages synchronized with your mail server.

Regards,
Paul

Yes, I had this experience :slight_smile:
Old mails shouldn’t be in backuped database where are messages completely downloaded?
I talked with provider: he can do nothing as, once email address is deleted, messages in data base are also deleted.
My question now is about eMClient data base backup.

Offline - Download messages for offline use. Include attachments and images

are checked in eMClient. Can you confirm that it works only if messages are on provider server?

Hi again, this option is only available for IMAP accounts enabling the option without having the messages on the provider sender would not make it possible to download the messages from anywhere.

This option can only be performed (e.g. the messages can only be downloaded) when messages are available on the server.

eM Client database backup will compress your database folder and thus will backup any data that are currently in the database, backup will however not force any re-synchronization process nor will try to download remaining data, backup only backs up what is already saved within the database folder.

Regards,
Paul

Hello,
all my accounts are IMAP.
So, backup made before I deleted this account should have saved message including attachments.

As I suggested only in case the message was already downloaded prior to you performing backup. By default eM Client only downloads the headers, if you check the option download messages for offline use, bodies will be fetched automatically with the headers as new messages are being downloaded.

In case this option was enabled, all your email should be in the backup file, if not, only the messages you were able to display in offline mode before would be contained in the backup.

Regards,
Paul