How to import mail shield certificate from Avast

Hello,
I get a failed connection message (red triangle) every time I use eMClient v8 (for 2 GMail accounts), a problem which I did not have with eMClient v7 (with Avast) on my previous computer. After some searching on the Internet, I discovered that it was due to a certificate issue in V8 linked to the Avast Mail Shield. How should I import this certificate into eMClient?
Your help will be very much appreciated as I have to turn off the mail shield on a regular basis to send / receive mails, which is not a safe solution in my opinion.
Stéphanie

miércoles 26 agosto 2020 :: 1213hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi Stephanie

I don’t know about your problem, however, read the following.

Avast Collects and Sells Your Browsing History!

By default, Avast collects your web browsing activity and offers it to marketeers
through their subsidiary named Jumpshot.
Companies who pay Avast/Jumpshot can view full “clickstream data” to see what
Avast users are doing online.

The data collected is so granular that Jumpshot clients can view the individual
clicks that Avast users are making on their browsing sessions, including the time
right down to the millisecond.

The collected data is linked to a person’s name, email and or IP address.
Each user history is assigned to an identifier called the device ID, which
persists unless the user uninstalls the Avast antivirus product.

We recommend Microsoft’s Windows Defender, which is integrated into
all versions of Windows 10, and of course it’s free.
Microsoft’s antivirus doesn’t have an agenda beyond keeping antvirus
off your computer.
It doesn’t track your web browsing!

¥Saludos desde la soleada España!

[email protected]

2 Likes

Thanks skybat for letting me now. Apparently, Avast has now decided to sell Jumpshot but who knows what comes next on their agenda. I have followed your advice, uninstalled Avast and reactivated Windows Defender. Everything works smoothly.
Greetings from Belgium!

3 Likes

Jumpshot had been already shutdown when you wrote this.
Anyway, nobody answered properly the initial question, which was how to import a mail shield certificate from Avast.

I don’t think you gave a good advice here.
It is better to have 2 levels of anti-viruses, as Microsoft is highly targeted by foreign states, and the hacks discovered are forwarded later to nefarious actors for ransomware.
It is clear that the latter are the equivalent of corsairs (pirates with cover from a government).

This is what explains the explosion of such attacks in the Western world, such as in hospitals during COVID times.
Better be safe than sorry.

I agree with @skybat just use the built-in Windows Defender / Security program with Win 10 and remove Avast.

1 Like

viernes 02 julio 2021 :: 2052hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @Sam_Fre

OK, so Jumpshot is shut down or sold on, who knows, however, it used to operate in a clandestine way, this says little for the moral compass of AVG/Avast.
If you are that concerned with regard to ‘nefarious actors’ run Malwarebytes and a dedicated anto-spam program such as MailWasher Pro from firetrust.com.

¥Saludos desde la soleada España!

Skybat

[email protected]