How can I save my mail messages on my hard drive, in folders, similar to Outlook's .pst structure?

Hi:\I want to be able to set up folders in the mail client so that I have a set of folders stored on the server, and a set of folders stored on my hard drive, This is the same thing as older versions of Outlook, with the .pst files. I can’t seem to figure out how to make the offline (pst) folders in eM client. I use gmail.
Thanks in advance!
Pat

eM Client stores all it’s data in 1 database file.

You can make e-mail folders in eM Client, but there won’t be folders created in Windows Explorer.

Hi, it is like user Hans wrote before me. But if you need to have your emails visible as standalone files you can use drag and drop into folder you want.
then they will be exported into .eml file which (from my experience) works well with Outlook or Thunderbird.

I hope this was helpful to you.

Jan

Thank you both. In Settings/Storage it tells me the path of the database, but I cannot find the database file in Windows Explorer. But somehow, when offline, I can stil access my mail, so it is stored somewhere. I had to set it to synchronize at startup of the client, else, the mail will disappear offline (as it is on the gmail server).

Hi Patrick,

What files are you looking for in Windows Explorer?

My data directory of eM Client (as specified in Tools --> Settings --> General --> Storage) shows a lot of files. Those files make up the database eM Client is using.

The file name of the e-mails database is “mail_data.dat”.

Hi Hans,
Thank you for your replies.
When I go to (Tools --> Settings --> General --> Storage) I see that my data is here:

If I try to find this in WE, it does not exist… I will search for the mail_data.dat file.
Thanks!
Pat

Hi, I supposed that you tried to use search, could you try to access that folder manually folder by folder?

If you will not be able to access “Appdata” then turn on showing of “hidden folders” in windows.

Jan

Thanks, Jan,
It did not occur to me the file may be hidden.I can now see the files in eM. It is surprising the propeties of the mail_data.dat file says it is only 158MB in size.

So, in theory, I can make a copy of the mail_data.dat file, and I will have my email messages to date stored on the copy? And, if I rename it to say today_data.dat, can I reopen it in EM as a separate entity?

Thanks!
Pat

This will most likely cause broken database, we do not support this way. Please use File - Backup… or File - Export… instead.

Jan

Thank you, Jan,
I will try File-Export. Looks like this will create each message as an individual file. I’ll check it out.
Thanks again!
Pat

Hi, was this helpful to you?

Hi Jan,
yes, it saves each mail as a separate file. I like it.

you are welcome :slight_smile:

Jan

Hello Jan  ----   I posted following coupla days ago  –  am newbie here (sorry !!)
Are database files ‘organized’ by folder, as when I run/use eM online ?

I am an idiot !!  Started using eM Client ~ 6 months ago; thought ALL messages are/wud be ‘saved’ OFFLINE on my machine for access anytime LATER when NOT connected to internet. Just now (sorry - told u I am stupid !!) realized that if/when I ‘click’ on a message ‘header’ in one of my 45-50 e-mail ‘folders’, and am NOT online, error message shows its face & tells me I’m
NOT connected & can’t, therefore, download my message[s]. Soooo, I have looked on ‘help site’ to determine method to make sure I am DOWNLOADING/synching/whatever any/all messages
to this machine  –  but am unsure of EXACT steps to take. PLEASE someone point me in right direction to accomplish this -  making sure I have ALL messages LOCALLY when I sign out.
Thank you in advance.  <[email protected]>

Howard Fupp
[email protected]

Hello Jan  ----   I posted following coupla days ago  –  am newbie here (sorry !!)
Are database files ‘organized’ by folder, as when I run/use eM online ?

I am an idiot !!  Started using eM Client ~ 6 months ago; thought ALL messages are/wud be ‘saved’ OFFLINE on my machine for access anytime LATER when NOT connected to internet. Just now (sorry - told u I am stupid !!) realized that if/when I ‘click’ on a message ‘header’ in one of my 45-50 e-mail ‘folders’, and am NOT online, error message shows its face & tells me I’m
NOT connected & can’t, therefore, download my message[s]. Soooo, I have looked on ‘help site’ to determine method to make sure I am DOWNLOADING/synching/whatever any/all messages
to this machine  –  but am unsure of EXACT steps to take. PLEASE someone point me in right direction to accomplish this -  making sure I have ALL messages LOCALLY when I sign out.
Thank you in advance.  <[email protected]>