High CPU utilization when opening a new email

Windows 10, 6 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, eM Client v7.0.26687.0, IMAP account to Gmail, IMAP account to Comcast. Every time I double click a new email to open it, the CPU utilization spikes to at least 50% while the body of the email waits to display. Otherwise, the CPU utilization seems normal. It only spikes when I double click a new email. I have 2 txt files from the emstack utility showing the CPU spike. Where can I send those to have them analyzed ?

Hi,

If you are using the Free-Version all you got is “Community-Support” = this Forum.
If this peak takes just a second or so:   so what… ? CPU-Power is intended to be used.
Are your IMAP-Accounts configured to download the messages for offline-reading?

Fritz

Fritz,

I saw other posts regarding high CPU utilization and those responses included a link to the emstackdump utility as well as an email address to send the logs to for analysis. I did not get the impression it was for the paid version of eM Client. I am considering purchasing a license, but only if I can get the CPU problem resolved. The CPU spikes last for 3 to 5 seconds each time I open a new email message, which makes it fairly slow and inefficient when I am trying to get through numerous emails. In addition, while the CPU utilization is high, there is no information being displayed in the body of the email. It’s just blank. It’s as though eM Client is figuring out what to display and using a lot of CPU to do it. I do not have the IMAP accounts configured to download the messages for offline reading. I will turn on that option to see if it helps. Thanks.

Hi Chris,

Since you gave a more detailed info about the CPU-Peak-Issue I do understand your concerns better now…

perhaps things speed up with the download-option enabled…

Fritz

Fritz,

I turned on the Account IMAP options to both “Download messages for offline use” and “Include attachments and images”, but there is still a 3 to 5 second delay before the body of the email appears, during which time, the CPU spikes to 50%.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Perhaps your Virus-Scan-Software?
Does it also happen with simple messages without design and formatting and without attachments?

Fritz

Fritz,

I have already added an exception to our anti-virus software for the MailClient.exe file. I have also excluded the entire C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client folder as well as the eM Client folder in my local profile where the data files are located. I was originally thinking it had something to do with rendering the email body in HTML so I turned on the option to “Read all messages in plain text”, but that did not help either. I have installed eM Client on 3 different computers and they all experience the same behavior when opening a new email message.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I was thinking about pausing the whole Live-Scan (if possible) during the test since eM-Client is just an application. It calls Windows-Functions to communicate etc.  
Perhaps one of those other Elements causes the Virus-Scan-SW to act up… (just guessing…)?

Any other tools running, which might perhaps interfere?

Fritz

Fritz,

I temporarily disabled my anti-virus but there is still a delay in displaying a new email and 50% CPU utilization. It really seems to be something with eM Client accessing it’s database and opening/rendering a new email message the first time. If I go back to open an email that was previously opened, it displays right away. Not sure why it needs to use that much CPU just to open and display a single email.

Chris

Fritz,

It behaves as though it’s not actually downloading the messages, attachments and images for offline use even though I have those options turned on. It seems like it still only downloads the content of a new email at the time I double click to read it. Once I’ve read the message once, the content is in the database and then when I go back to a message I already opened, the content appears quickly without the high CPU usage. Something doesn’t seem right.

Chris

just checking:

You did enable Synchronisation every Minutes?

…and you did check this box in the Account ́s settings?

Fritz

Fritz,

Yes, the Synchronization and Services are both at default settings from when I first installed eM Client. Please see screenshots from my computer below;

Chris

Fritz,

I also tried changing other things such as turning on the Messages Panel on the Right in case that might force eM Client to render the email content when the message arrives. But when I double click the new email, there is still a 3-5 second delay and the CPU spikes to 50%. I typically have the Messages Panel turned off. I also tried turned off the Smart Folders in case that might be causing some type of added load, but that did not help either.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The issue occurs with every of your eMail-Accounts? or just with the Google Account(s)?

Fritz

Fritz,

It occurs with all accounts.

Chris

hi Chris,

I am afraid I am running out of ideas…

last guess: have you tried to run the Application “as Admin” - just to make sure that the issue is not caused by an access-privileges-issue…?

Fritz

Fritz,

I will try that and let you know. I did receive a message from another forum member indicating they are having the same problem.

Chris

Fritz,

Running eM Client as administrator did not make any difference.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

OK, here’s another interesting observation regarding this problem… if I open a new message by clicking the notification pop-up in the lower right corner of the screen, it opens right away and without the CPU spike to 50% ! Very strange. But, it still spikes the CPU to 50% and delays displaying the body of the email if I double click a new email from the main eM Client window.

Chris