High cpu usage of 25%

Em Client v 5.08.18661.0 uses 25% of the cpu after couple of minutes non usage (minimised). I have two account setup, which are gmail and outlook and their respective chat as well.

Process Explorer shows msworks.dll!Create Application context+0xbb49, responsible for this. Can you suggest any fix

This usually happens when eM Client starts database compacting - have you deleted large amount of emails recently? Or did you do any significant changes in the folders structure?

I installed and having been using eM Client since 18/09/2013 and the problem has occurred every single day since then.
Trash containing 100 mails was emptied on first day, later on only 3 or 4 mails were deleted everyday

How many accounts do you have?

2 accounts. Gmail and Outlook

OK, please run this special tool www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe and send us log which it creates. It will tell us more why eM Client consumes lot of CPU.

As you had not mentioned your mail id. I referred to other threads on the forum to obtain wilson[at]emclient.com

OK, I already replied to your email.

The problem has vanished, guess its just database compacting. Guess compaction takes a long time.
Great product and great support. Thank You Mr. George

Ÿou are very welcome.

Hi, I’m having the exact same problem - eM Client is using 20-30% of CPU all the time - and it seems to be constantly synchronizing folders - when it finishes it seems to just start again - normally I turn it off overnight but didn’t last night - it’s now been “synchronising” > 24 hours. I have the latest version (6.0.21572.0) and have generated a log with your emstackdump app. Is this a known problem still?

Hi Ethan, this is not a known issue of the application, can you please submit the em client stack dump file to my email [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic?

What mail service are you using with eM Client?

Thank you,
Paul

Thanks Paul - I have sent you an email with stack dump file

Hi Ethan, thank you for the received data, it seems like eM Client is trying to compact the database files, you can try to run this utility http://www.emclient.com/tools/dbrepairrebuildall.exe to speed up the process, however this process needs to be finished.

Thank you,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I’ve run that utility. My mail accounts continue to be “synchronizing” pretty much constantly although now (after several days) the CPU is a bi more manageable 1-5%. Will continue to monitor but hopefully it won’t rise again.

Great, thank you for the follow-up, please make sure if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Ethan,

which value (in minutes) have you specified under tools > settings > general > general, item “synchronize items every xxx minutes”?

If that value is too small, eM Client will continuously synchronize your e-mail accounts.

Hi Hans, I don’t recall ever changing it - but it was set to 3 minutes. I’ve changed it to the maximum (99) and also deselected “synchronise items at startup”. I then restarted the application and it started synchronizing instantly (though perhaps that’s because it was previously in progress). Will see if it stops synchronising in the next hour or two and report back.

Hi Ethan, Hi Hans, the synchronize items every X minutes option has an effect on non-IMAP accounts only, as eM Client keeps a stable IDLE connection between the client and the server and downloads new messages as soon as new data are available on the server.

This option should not cause any re-sync issues.

Thank you,
Paul

oddly, one of the Imap accounts has finally stopped continuous synchronising now - the other one is continuing away, but CPU is now stable and insignificant so perhaps that DB utility tool did the trick but then required a pass through to get all good - thanks for the feedback!