Google Workspace and POP accounts

I’m seeking guidance on how to adapt to the changes coming to Google Workspace mail accounts in September. I may as well deal with it sooner than later.

I’ve maintained two POP accounts using Google as my mail provider for years. The other account belongs to my wife, an Apple user. But I’m on eM Client and set up my POP account manually. I’d prefer to stay with POP, as for my purposes I prefer it to IMAP, but I’m not sure whether the Google changes will leave me any choice.

In that case, I suspect the proper procedure would be to set up a new IMAP account in eM Client, and subsequently kill the POP account, and in this way I’ll avoid losing any mail.

But much of this is mysterious to me and I was wondering if eM Client (or anyone else) can offer some advice on the safest way to proceed.

Thank you in advance, dgi

Unfortunately you can no longer use POP3 with Google accounts.

Yes, the solution is to setup the account again using the automatic setup (Menu > Accounts > Add Account), which will use IMAP. Then move any POP3 messages you want to keep to the new folders or to Local Folders, and finally remove the POP3 account.

We made an announcement about this back in March 2022.

I do recall seeing the message but am just getting around to acting on it now. Thank you very much!

I think Google have set September 2024 as the end of support for less secure apps, though for most users this stopped working in 2022. Microsoft did the same later in 2022, but some of their users are only now being affected by the change.

Several years ago while using gmail POP on Outlook 2016, Google required me to create an app password and then key that app password one time into the Outlook client as its login email password for the gmail account. This is not possible on em-Client in POP? But it was possible until April 2024?

@Carter78

Several years ago while using gmail POP on Outlook 2016, Google required me to create an app password and then key that app password one time into the Outlook client as its login email password for the gmail account. This is not possible on em-Client in POP? But it was possible until April 2024?

As @Gary advised, Google has ended support for that just recently in 2024. See Google quote below.

(Google quote) On less secure apps 2024.

“Access to less secure apps will be turned off for all Google Accounts. CalDAV, CardDAV, IMAP, SMTP, and POP will no longer work with legacy passwords (basic authentication”

So if you are using Google accounts (like Microsoft), you have to now use an IMAP connection with Google accounts “via OAuth using the automatic account wizard” and move all your POP Gmail to an IMAP email acct setup in eM Client.

Quoting google: Transition from less secure apps to OAuth
Starting in autumn of 2024, you and your users must use OAuth with third-party apps to access Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Contacts. OAuth is a more secure access method. You will no longer use a password for access (with the exception of app passwords). Transition from less secure apps to OAuth - Google Workspace Admin Help
My comment: Somehow the exception is usually overlooked.

@Carter78

My comment: Somehow the exception is usually overlooked.

The use of App Passwords in manual POP setups for Google accounts “is not officially supported by eM Client” and Google could cut that access off anytime. Google also don’t recommend the use of App Passwords for security reasons as per the following page.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Quote from the above Google support page:-

“Important: App passwords aren’t recommended and are unnecessary in most cases. To help keep your account secure, use “Sign in with Google” to connect apps to your Google Account”

Note:- You normally would only use an app password in a “Less secure app”, so as eM Client is a secure mail app, you should now be using the automatic OAuth token (password-less) login with Google accts as an IMAP Google account.

Lastly if you don’t want to change to a Google IMAP account due to cost reasons with having to buy space, then you can always setup eg: automatic archiving in eM Client to move emails older than X days to eM Client Local Folders.