Google contacts sorting issue for company-only (no first/last name) records

I’ve been using eM Client for a few weeks now and I can’t believe I went so long without it. To say I’m absolutely thrilled would be such an understatement. It really delivers on that rather bold “best email client for Windows” statement and is well worth the license fee :slight_smile:

The only burning issue I have is the way Google contacts are sorted. Other apps that I am using sort by first or last name and then company name by default, so contact entries for companies only (without an actual individual’s name) are still sorted alphabetically in the list under their company name, i.e.:

Annie Apple (first/last name, no company)
Our Big Company (no name, company)
Peter Piper, Another Company (first/last name, company)
Tom Jones (first/last name, no company)

This behavior applies to Google’s web interface, as well as contact data pulled into Android.

However, eM Client only appears to sort on ‘name’ or ‘file as’ fields, so if these are empty is doesn’t look at the company name and such records get relegated to the bottom of the list, where they appear to be displayed in random order.

I have many company-only records in my Google contacts and this makes it incredibly messy when viewing contacts; particularly in the business card view, which is my preference.

I have tried the various list views but this doesn’t resolve the issue, although it does achieve two organized groups for the named/nameless contacts.

I am not sure how other apps handle sorting, but they do seem to do it correctly without any additional tweaking. I also checked within Google’s online contacts interface to see if there is the possibility to add a ‘file as’ field, but there doesn’t appear to be one. I also don’t really want to go this way – i.e. additional field data just to solve the eM Client sort order – as everything else I have seems to handle this fine as is.

I do hope there is a workaround for this, or alternatively it could be resolved in a future version.

EDIT: I’ve just noticed that there is ‘file-as’ content for all contacts with first name/last name entries, but none for the company only entries. I pulled all records from Google, so eM Client must have added this data upon import.

I am going to go ahead and delete the ‘file-as’ content to see if it fixes the sort order. I will post back once I’ve done this. However, even if this resolves the sort issue it’s not a fix, as any new records will automatically have this appended again. I suppose I could go the other way and add the company names in the ‘file as’ field, but that defeats the purpose of syncing and any records added elsewhere won’t have this appended upon sync.

Sorry if I’ve gone on a bit, but I’m sure you understand what I mean :wink:

EDIT 2: Well that didn’t work ;(

I’m going to add the company names in the ‘file as’ fields’, which will obviously fix the issue, but as I said above, that’s not really a solution as any records added elsewhere and sync’d into eM Client won’t include the ‘file’as’ data so will be pushed to the bottom of the list.

EDIT 3: Having gone (from within eM Client) and added ‘file as’ data matching the ‘company name’ for all company-only entries, the contact list, business cards, etc., are now all sorted correctly. However, as expected, the Google interface now displays an additional non-standard ‘File As’ field populated with that data on its contact details web interface. This extra field does not exist for records with first name/last name entries.

I didn’t want to go this way, as it means keeping track of and double-checking all new company-only entries made from other devices that sync Google contact info and appending ‘file as’ info within eM Client, which is frustrating and shouldn’t be necessary :frowning:


We will fix this in the next application update.